PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to boot Ubuntu once it's installed along side Windows 7?

White Canary
November 4th, 2011, 05:58 AM
I installed Ubuntu 11.10 on a separate partition on my laptop, but when I turn it on, I never see an option to choose between Windows 7 or Ubuntu- it simply loads up Windows 7. I didn't have this problem when I had last installed 9.10, so I'm curious to know what the problem is now, and how I could fix it. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

pavi_elex
November 4th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Try to install ubuntu with WUBI.It will give select option before booting.

Hedgehog1
November 4th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Please follow this link below to generate a RESULTS.txt file - the contents of the text file will tell us about your current installion:

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

After downloading and running the boot info script by following the instructions in the link, please post the contents of the RESULTS.txt file between
and tags in your next post.

Once we can see your current install situation, we can the better advise you.

The Hedge

:KS

Jack Brown
November 4th, 2011, 07:35 AM
grub bootloader.

might have gotten installed somewhere else.

or an incomplete install. good thing your laptop still boots up.

edit: make sure you install ubuntu AFTER windows.

Mark Phelps
November 4th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Messing around with partitions to fix dual-boot problems runs the risk of corrupting the Win7 OS filesystem, rendering it unbootable. So, before that happens, use the Win7 Backup feature to create and burn a Win7 Repair CD. This will come in handy later, should you need to repair your Win7 boot loader from the dual boot setup.