PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Goodbye windows, hello Ubuntu (maybe)

rough60
November 4th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Hi all,

I am in considering installing Ubuntu on my 4year old xp pro desktop.
This machine has all my vids/music/pics etc. on it.
The xp OS is on it's own 120G HDD and all my files are on another 1TB internal HDD.
I have fully backed up (mirrored) my 1 TB storage drive.
Is there anything else I should do before wiping xp and installing Ubuntu, or should I just setup duel boot?

I already use Ubuntu server for media and backup and Slitaz on a couple of old laptops, as well as myth on my mediapc so I'm not asking if I should change from windows to linux. Just what else is recommended to ensure my files created in widows (docs/pics/vids etc) will be safe/accessible from my new Ubuntu OS.

Cheers.

fantab
November 4th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Hi all,

I am in considering installing Ubuntu on my 4year old xp pro desktop.
This machine has all my vids/music/pics etc. on it.
The xp OS is on it's own 120G HDD and all my files are on another 1TB internal HDD.
I have fully backed up (mirrored) my 1 TB storage drive.
Is there anything else I should do before wiping xp and installing Ubuntu, or should I just setup duel boot?

I already use Ubuntu server for media and backup and Slitaz on a couple of old laptops, as well as myth on my mediapc so I'm not asking if I should change from windows to linux. Just what else is recommended to ensure my files created in widows (docs/pics/vids etc) will be safe/accessible from my new Ubuntu OS.

You have done well when you say you have back it all up. If you choose to dual-boot then, I guess, we have nothing more to say. However, if you are considering Ubuntu only then I have a small suggestion for you. I think you should use Ubuntu LiveCD to check your documents with LibreOffice, just to ensure that everything is okay. Generally Pictures, Videos and Music are all safe with Ubuntu.

rough60
November 4th, 2011, 04:34 AM
use Ubuntu LiveCD to check your documents with LibreOffice.

Will do ty, should all drives be etx3 including my backup drive?

tnt533
November 4th, 2011, 05:10 AM
There is no need to reformat your 1tb drive. Ubuntu will mount, read and write to NTFS drives just fine. In fact, i would leave it NTFS specifically for portability so it can be read by other OS's.

rough60
November 4th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Thanks guys, will mark as solved