PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] lubuntu clean install verses desktop inviroment on ubuntu

Borunco
November 4th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Hi all, I was wondering if their any benefit between a stand alone lubuntu install verses adding the desk environment to Ubuntu. I have it done both ways, and don't seem to notice any difference in speed, the only difference i see is that on the desk top environment i have the Ubuntu app available.
any thoughts?
Thanks
borunco:popcorn:

Ps. I'm not using any kind of app. to see the difference in speed it,s just an observation, and I'm not trying to split hairs.
I think i mite have put this in the wrong category, sorry.

michael2009
November 4th, 2011, 03:58 AM
I am interested in your experiment. I got fed up with clean install of lubuntu. I prefer to have the Ubuntu desktop, & have just performed an upgrade with an Ubuntu 11.10 install CD. It installed really nicely and very smoothly, but I need to make it leaner to be faster. So I am now considering downloading the lubuntu desktop from synaptic.

However, we need to install synaptic first with 11.10 don't we? What a pain. Even with the terminal command:

apt-get install synaptic package manager

it doesn't want to know! Why oh why did the Oneirics leave out synaptic? It is essential.

Borunco
November 4th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I am interested in your experiment. I got fed up with clean install of lubuntu. I prefer to have the Ubuntu desktop, & have just performed an upgrade with an Ubuntu 11.10 install CD. It installed really nicely and very smoothly, but I need to make it leaner to be faster. So I am now considering downloading the lubuntu desktop from synaptic.

However, we need to install synaptic first with 11.10 don't we? What a pain. Even with the terminal command:

apt-get install synaptic package manager

it doesn't want to know! Why oh why did the Oneirics leave out synaptic? It is essential.

I agree
, some things just need to be left alone. I like the old saying ( If it's not broke why fix it).
Back to the post, I did the desktop enviroment install over ubuntu 11.04 on my net book, I have a ssd hard drive, so the speed is already pretty quick. I defenatetly see a big difference between lubuntu verses Ubuntu, on their own, but having lubuntu in Ubuntu i think is still at the lubuntu speed. although I like unity, it takes a lot longer for things to come up ones you click on the tiles in unity.

amjjawad
November 4th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Hi all, I was wondering if their any benefit between a stand alone lubuntu install verses adding the desk environment to Ubuntu. I have it done both ways, and don't seem to notice any difference in speed, the only difference i see is that on the desk top environment i have the Ubuntu app available.
any thoughts?
Thanks
borunco:popcorn:

Ps. I'm not using any kind of app. to see the difference in speed it,s just an observation, and I'm not trying to split hairs.
I think i mite have put this in the wrong category, sorry.

Hi and thanks for choosing Lubuntu :)

I'm one of the Lubuntu Team and I'm glad that many people are really interested in Lubuntu :)

Before I forget, please have a look at my signature - Lubuntu One Stop Thread. It has many information that might help you in the future ;)

Back to your question. I see you have a new machine, am I right? with SSD HDD. Hmm, you won't really notice any differences.
For me, I think it's different. If not with Speed then with Space. I'm not sure how much space does Ubuntu 11.10 takes but I managed to install Lubuntu on 4GB USB Drive and I do have 1.5GB Free.

Basically, you will have two main DE's installed over the same core. If you go Lubuntu Route and do a clean new install, you'll have One. In fact, there are more because you'll be able for example to login to Openbox if you have Lubuntu. You can choose that at the login screen.

I think it's more a personal opinion. I'm one of those who prefer Clean Install rather than installing a package over another package, not to mention the menu could be a mess.

Lubuntu is not only Lightweight but Simple too. That's why I like it.

:)

leclerc65
November 4th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I'd rather have a clean install then add my favorite packages later on (nautilus, gnome-system-monitor ...). There are less surprises.

amjjawad
November 4th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I'd rather have a clean install then add my favorite packages later on (nautilus, gnome-system-monitor ...). There are less surprises.

These apps are not included with Lubuntu and these are not meant to be used with Lubuntu. Lubuntu has Lightweight Apps :)

Check my thread - One Stop Thread > First Post > Section D > #4

However, +1 for clean install :)

Borunco
November 5th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Hi and thanks for choosing Lubuntu :)

I'm one of the Lubuntu Team and I'm glad that many people are really interested in Lubuntu :)

Before I forget, please have a look at my signature - Lubuntu One Stop Thread. It has many information that might help you in the future ;)

Back to your question. I see you have a new machine, am I right? with SSD HDD. Hmm, you won't really notice any differences.
For me, I think it's different. If not with Speed then with Space. I'm not sure how much space does Ubuntu 11.10 takes but I managed to install Lubuntu on 4GB USB Drive and I do have 1.5GB Free.

Basically, you will have two main DE's installed over the same core. If you go Lubuntu Route and do a clean new install, you'll have One. In fact, there are more because you'll be able for example to login to Openbox if you have Lubuntu. You can choose that at the login screen.

I think it's more a personal opinion. I'm one of those who prefer Clean Install rather than installing a package over another package, not to mention the menu could be a mess.

Lubuntu is not only Lightweight but Simple too. That's why I like it.

:)
Thanks Amjjawad,I was hoping you would see my thread. In fact your Lubuntu one stop is what got me interested in lubuntu, I have different boxes with different Ubuntu's in them. I have been with Ubuntu 11.04 since it came out, I have only used Linux since march of this year, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible. lubuntu is awesome, but i need to get more into it, their is certain thing that are new, and as I get familiar with Ubuntu, throwing lubuntu in the mix gets me thinking in a different way. I don't Know how to explain it, because they are kind of the same, but not. any how I'm sure I will be requiring your assistance in the near future. BTW your Thread is awesome.
Thanks Borunco
PS. is their a tutorial on audacious ?

amjjawad
November 5th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Thanks Amjjawad,I was hoping you would see my thread.

You most welcome :)
I always search for threads with [lubuntu] prefix, thus my signature :)

In fact your Lubuntu one stop is what got me interested in lubuntu
I'm glad that my thread is helping people to fall in love with Lubuntu as I did :)

I have different boxes with different Ubuntu's in them. I have been with Ubuntu 11.04 since it came out, I have only used Linux since march of this year, so I'm trying to learn as much as possible.
Keep learning please and if you need anything, I'll do what I could to help you :)

lubuntu is awesome, but i need to get more into it, their is certain thing that are new, and as I get familiar with Ubuntu, throwing lubuntu in the mix gets me thinking in a different way. I don't Know how to explain it, because they are kind of the same, but not.

I think I know what you mean. Don't worry about explaining. Also, one thing you need to learn is to be patient. Lubuntu is great OS that will save your 10 years old machine and breath new life into it. Lubuntu could also work on new machines. It's so light, powerful and stable. The more you dive into it, the more you'll learn so don't worry, it will take some time but that depends on you and how fast you are to learn or let's say how much you are willing to learn :)

any how I'm sure I will be requiring your assistance in the near future.

That is why I'm here. If you have to start a new thread, PM me the link and I'll do my best to help as much as I can. I'm not saying I know everything, of course I don't, but I'll do anything to help a fellow Lubuntu User ;)

BTW your Thread is awesome.
Thanks

Thanks to you :)

PS. is their a tutorial on audacious ?
Hmm, I've never used that program and not sure if there is one for it :)
Try google or www.googlubuntu.com
Or maybe search the forum?
Any specific thing you are looking for?

Borunco
November 6th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Any specific thing you are looking for?[/QUOTE]
Not shure how to use it for playing music cd's, and putting together a play list. I have used it a little bit but mostly stumbled through it, so don't have a system how to work it yet. I found a tutorial on recording and manipulating sound with it, witch is really cool. But I want to be able to control my music library. Since i have Ubuntu 11.04, I was getting use to banshee, but audacious is a little different.
Thank you
borunco:guitar:

amjjawad
November 6th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Any specific thing you are looking for?
Not shure how to use it for playing music cd's, and putting together a play list. I have used it a little bit but mostly stumbled through it, so don't have a system how to work it yet. I found a tutorial on recording and manipulating sound with it, witch is really cool. But I want to be able to control my music library. Since i have Ubuntu 11.04, I was getting use to banshee, but audacious is a little different.
Thank you
borunco:guitar:[/QUOTE]

I've never used it but I'm sure you can find some useful tips on Google :)
I'm working on Test PCs (2) at the same time and I don't even turn the Speaker (which is attached to one of them only) ON. However, when I get some time and need to listen to something, my default is VLC.

Borunco
November 6th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I love VLC that's probably where I will end up at, I was just trying to keep Lubuntu as it can.
Thank you
Borunco

amjjawad
November 6th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I love VLC that's probably where I will end up at, I was just trying to keep Lubuntu as it can.
Thank you
Borunco

You welcome :)
Yeah, I like it too.

Have you searched for any guide or something? if you are familiar with VLC then perhaps it's better to use it, specially if that will save your time :)