PDA

View Full Version : Problem with GeForce GT520

Sevin72
November 4th, 2011, 12:03 AM
recently, I dismissed my old GS8400 and install a new GeForce GT 520.

But I have some problems with it (or with drivers, I don't know).

I install the 285.05.09 drivers from nVidia website (sudo sh NVIDIA.sh) and the installation was ok; also 3D rendering is ok but the system is very instable.

Too often my system freezes (with some strange blue pixel) and the only solution is a hardware reboot (no consolle, no mouse....)

Can you suggest to me a solution?

I use Kubuntu 11.10 64 bit (with KDE 4.7.2)

This is my xorg.conf

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 285.05.09 (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-02.nvidia.com) Fri Sep 23 17:55:57 PDT 2011

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

and my lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller (rev 10)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 10)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT520 [GeForce GT520] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation HDMI Audio stub (rev a1)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)

thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english

papibe
November 4th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Since the driver from the Nvidia site is not giving you the results you want, I would suggest uninstalling it and trying the one provided by Ubuntu (on additional drivers).

Just some thoughts,
Regards.

Sevin72
November 4th, 2011, 09:26 AM
it's a good tip but.... I don't know how to uninstall the nVidia driver (I installed it manually) and how to install the nouveau drivers.

Can you suggest to me?

mastablasta
November 4th, 2011, 10:39 AM
see bottom of this page for Nvidia :
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/FglrxInteferesWithRadeonDriver#Problem:%20%20Need% 20to%20fully%20remove%20-fglrx%20and%20reinstall%20-ati%20from%20scratch

on how to uninstall and reinstall.

Sevin72
November 4th, 2011, 11:26 PM
see bottom of this page for Nvidia :
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/FglrxInteferesWithRadeonDriver#Problem:%20%20Need% 20to%20fully%20remove%20-fglrx%20and%20reinstall%20-ati%20from%20scratch

on how to uninstall and reinstall.

i read the guide and the link suggests to do sudo nvidia-settings --uninstall but when I try to do it....

mario@outremer:~$ sudo nvidia-settings --uninstall
nvidia-settings: unrecognized option: "--uninstall"

ERROR: Invalid commandline, please run `nvidia-settings --help` for usage information.

mario@outremer:~$ sudo nvidia-settings --help

nvidia-settings: version 285.05.09 (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-02.nvidia.com) Fri Sep 23 17:55:42 PDT 2011
The NVIDIA X Server Settings tool.

This program is used to configure the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver.
For more detail, please see the nvidia-settings(1) man page.

Copyright (C) 2004 - 2010 NVIDIA Corporation.

nvidia-settings [options]

-v, --version
Print the nvidia-settings version and exit.

-h, --help
Print usage information and exit.

--config=[CONFIG]
Use the configuration file CONFIG rather than the default ~/.nvidia-settings-rc

-c, --ctrl-display=[CTRL-DISPLAY]
Control the specified X display. If this option is not given, then nvidia-settings will control the display specified by '--display'; if that is not
given, then the $DISPLAY environment variable is used.

-l, --load-config-only
Load the configuration file, send the values specified therein to the X server, and exit. This mode of operation is useful to place in your xinitrc file,
for example.

-n, --no-config
Do not load the configuration file. This mode of operation is useful if nvidia-settings has difficulties starting due to problems with applying settings
in the configuration file.

-r, --rewrite-config-file
Write the X server configuration to the configuration file, and exit, without starting the graphical user interface. See EXAMPLES section.

-V, --verbose=[VERBOSE]
Controls how much information is printed. By default, the verbosity is errors and only error messages are printed. Valid values are 'none' (do not print
messages), 'errors' (print error messages), 'warnings' (print error and warning messages), and 'all' (print error, warning and other informational
messages).

-a, --assign=[ASSIGN]
The ASSIGN argument to the '--assign' command line option is of the form:

{DISPLAY}/{attribute name}[{display devices}]={value}

This assigns the attribute {attribute name} to the value {value} on the X Display {DISPLAY}. {DISPLAY} follows the usual {host}:{display}.{screen} syntax
of the DISPLAY environment variable and is optional; when it is not specified, then it is implied following the same rule as the --ctrl-display option.
If the X screen is not specified, then the assignment is made to all X screens. Note that the '/' is only required when {DISPLAY} is present.

{DISPLAY} can additionally include a target specification to direct an assignment to something other than an X screen. A target specification is
contained within brackets and consists of a target type name, a colon, and the target id. The target type name can be one of "screen", "gpu",
"framelock", "vcs", "gvi", or "fan"; the target id is the index into the list of targets (for that target type). The target specification can be used in
{DISPLAY} wherever an X screen can be used, following the syntax {host}:{display}[{target_type}:{target_id}]. See the output of

nvidia-settings -q all

for information on which target types can be used with which attributes. See the output of

nvidia-settings -q screens -q gpus -q framelocks -q vcs -q gvis -q fans

for lists of targets for each target type.

The [{display devices}] portion is also optional; if it is not specified, then the attribute is assigned to all display devices.

Some examples:

-a FSAA=5
-a localhost:0.0/DigitalVibrance[CRT-0]=0
--assign="SyncToVBlank=1"
-a [gpu:0]/DigitalVibrance[DFP-1]=63

-q, --query=[QUERY]
The QUERY argument to the '--query' command line option is of the form:

{DISPLAY}/{attribute name}[{display devices}]

This queries the current value of the attribute {attribute name} on the X Display {DISPLAY}. The syntax is the same as that for the '--assign' option,
without '={value}'; specify '-q screens', '-q gpus', '-q framelocks', '-q vcs', '-q gvis', or '-q fans' to query a list of X screens, GPUs, Frame Lock
devices, Visual Computing Systems, SDI Input Devices, or Fans, respectively, that are present on the X Display {DISPLAY}. Specify '-q all' to query all
attributes.

-t, --terse
When querying attribute values with the '--query' command line option, only print the current value, rather than the more verbose description of the
attribute, its valid values, and its current value.

-d, --display-device-string
When printing attribute values in response to the '--query' option, if the attribute value is a display device mask, print the value as a list of display
devices (e.g., "CRT-0, DFP-0"), rather than a hexadecimal bit mask (e.g., 0x00010001).

-g, --glxinfo
Print GLX Information for the X display and exit.

-e, --describe=[DESCRIBE]
Prints information about a particular attribute. Specify 'all' to list the descriptions of all attributes. Specify 'list' to list the attribute names
without a descriptions.

-p, --page=[PAGE]
The PAGE argument to the '--page' commandline option selects a particular page in the nvidia-settings user interface to display upon starting
nvidia-settings. Valid values are the page names in the tree view on the left side of the nvidia-settings user interface; e.g.,

--page="X Screen 0"

Because some page names are not unique (e.g., a "PowerMizer" page is present under each GPU), the page name can optionally be prepended with the name of
the parent X Screen or GPU page, followed by a comma. E.g.,

--page="GPU 0 - (Quadro 6000), PowerMizer"

The first page with a name matching the PAGE argument will be used. By default, the "X Server Information" page is displayed.

](*,)

papibe
November 5th, 2011, 12:17 AM
I'm pretty sure that's a mistake on the documentation. If I remember correctly you have to use the same NVIDIA.sh (for example) you downloaded from their site to uninstall it. Try:

sudo sh NVIDIA.sh --uninstall
or for more options:

sh NVIDIA.sh --help
Hope it helps,
Regards.

confused57
November 5th, 2011, 12:18 AM
You should be able to cd to the directory where the .run file is located. I have the 275 drive installed for a Fermi 450 GTS & would need to run:

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-275.09.07.run --uninstall
I don't know how familiar you are with linux, but you can type NV, press TAB for autocomplete, then type --uninstall.

I haven't actually had to uninstall the NVIDIA drivers, but I believe this is the correct method.

Looks like papibe beat me to it.

MAFoElffen
November 5th, 2011, 06:59 AM
it's a good tip but.... I don't know how to uninstall the nVidia driver (I installed it manually) and how to install the nouveau drivers.

Can you suggest to me?
The original script you used installed package "nvidia-installer"... which during the install also created /var/log/nvidia-installer.log. When it installed that package, it is now callable from the command line via

sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall

When you install the binary, that is the same program you use to upgrade. (using --upgrade)

You know that the nvidia binaries and Ubuntu nvidia deb packages are from the same source right?
- At the moment nvidia current main is Nvidia 280.13.
- nvidia-current in proposed / ubuntu-Xswat is 285.05 with plans to move to main soon...

I'm using 285.05 with Two Geofroce 9800 GTX's SLI bridged with no problems at all... Before uninstalling, try this first:

sudo su
echo RUN+="/sbin/modprobe nvidia" > /etc/udev/rules.d/90-modprobe.rules
echo options nouveau modeset=0 > /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau-kms.conf
update-initramfs -u
exit
What that will do is first load the nvidia kernel and then turn off nouveau and add it to the ram boot image. That set that up as soon as possible and claim memory space- , before other modules have a chance to load and cause a conflict.

Another place you may want to look is /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.confand ensure it has at least these lines:

blacklist vga16fb
blacklist rivafb
blacklist rivatv
blacklist nouveau
blacklist lbm-nouveau
blacklist nvidiafb

Sevin72
November 5th, 2011, 04:24 PM
The problems drive me crazy because my Kubuntu was not usable; so I reinstalled Kubuntu 11.10 64 bit from the scratch.

Actually, my system use 280.13 driver; the system is a little bit stable.

As you suggest, I check my blacklist.conf and there is no the line that you suggest.

# This file lists those modules which we don't want to be loaded by
# alias expansion, usually so some other driver will be loaded for the
# device instead.

# evbug is a debug tool that should be loaded explicitly
blacklist evbug

# these drivers are very simple, the HID drivers are usually preferred
blacklist usbmouse
blacklist usbkbd

# replaced by e100
blacklist eepro100

# replaced by tulip
blacklist de4x5

# causes no end of confusion by creating unexpected network interfaces
blacklist eth1394

# snd_intel8x0m can interfere with snd_intel8x0, doesn't seem to support much
# hardware on its own (Ubuntu bug #2011, #6810)
blacklist snd_intel8x0m

# Conflicts with dvb driver (which is better for handling this device)
blacklist snd_aw2

# causes failure to suspend on HP compaq nc6000 (Ubuntu: #10306)
blacklist i2c_i801

# replaced by p54pci
blacklist prism54

# replaced by b43 and ssb.
blacklist bcm43xx

# most apps now use garmin usb driver directly (Ubuntu: #114565)
blacklist garmin_gps

# replaced by asus-laptop (Ubuntu: #184721)
blacklist asus_acpi

# low-quality, just noise when being used for sound playback, causes
# hangs at desktop session start (Ubuntu: #246969)
blacklist snd_pcsp

# ugly and loud noise, getting on everyone's nerves; this should be done by a
# nice pulseaudio bing (Ubuntu: #77010)
blacklist pcspkr

# EDAC driver for amd76x clashes with the agp driver preventing the aperture
# from being initialised (Ubuntu: #297750). Blacklist so that the driver
# continues to build and is installable for the few cases where its
# really needed.
blacklist amd76x_edac

I'm adding the lines that you suggest and I will give the results.... [-o<

Sevin72
November 6th, 2011, 10:20 AM
The situation is almost the same.

I have blacklisted as you suggest; now I have some freeze for 1-2 seconds and then the system continue to go, usually.
Sometimes it's necessary an hard reboot

dino99
November 6th, 2011, 11:15 AM
from synaptic:
- purge ALL installed nvidia packages
- install this ppa: https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa
- update
- check that dkms is installed
- install nvidia-current, nvidia-settings (290.03)

Sevin72
November 6th, 2011, 05:09 PM
from synaptic:
- purge ALL installed nvidia packages
- install this ppa: https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa
- update
- check that dkms is installed
- install nvidia-current, nvidia-settings (290.03)

thanks for your suggest but..... before installing 290.03 drivers I'd like to know if my blacklist.conf is ok or I have to correct it.

Sevin72
November 7th, 2011, 02:52 PM
i installed 290.03 drivers and it looks fine.

The system is going.... now I test better the system before to change the thread in solved :)

Sevin72
November 8th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I'm continuing to test my system.

It is more stable using 290.03 than 285.05.09 but, rarely, I always had some freeze.

luca68
November 24th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Hi Sevin 72,

I got a silent gt 520, which is doing lots of funny stuff like yours.
My system is really unstable and right now it does not want to send audio over the HDMI anymore after the last freeze-reboot.

I was with nvidia 285, upgraded tonight to 290, but no luck.

How's with you ?
Did you solve with free drivers ?

Thanks very much

Luca

Sevin72
November 24th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Hi Luca 68
I partially solved with my GT 520.
Going under Win XP, I had noticed the same freeze and problems under Kubuntu.

So I tried my card in another pc (with Seven and Kubuntu 11.04) with the same problems.
2 pc and 4 S.O. (Win XP, Win 7, Kubuntu 11.04, Kubuntu 11.10) have convinced that there is an hardware problem on the card and I return it back to shop.
Now I'm waiting for a new one.

See you

PS=are you italian?

luca68
November 24th, 2011, 11:31 PM
The audio was just about the TV...
I restarted the TV!!! and the HDMI audio was there.
it was just the last attempt before going to bed.
but still random freeze....