PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Pse Recommend a new "tablet-PC" laptop

SaintDanBert
November 3rd, 2011, 06:17 PM
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X61-tablet (Tablet-PC) laptop that I need to replace in the next few months. I'm interested in recommendations for boxes that I might consider for purchase.

I am not a gamer. I watch commercial DVD movies and listen to commercial CD music. My primary apps, beyond browser and email and other communications, are LibreOffice, Scribus, Gimp, Inkscape, and (grin) 'bash.' I also write some code and build some web pages.

Requirement #1: The majority of its hardware features must operate reasonably well under an Ubuntu-family (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mythbuntu, Mint, etc) edition of linux. [i]I know there are other Linux distros and I will consider one of those if it offers more than an 80% solution to this "works reasonably well" requirement.

Requirement #2: Suspend-to-RAM (sleep) and Suspend-to-Disk (hibernate) must work reliably.

What is a Tablet-PC laptop?
Foremost, it is a laptop like we all know and love with keyboard and screen, built-in pointing device, built-in networking for wire and wireless and bluetooth, and various connectors for external devices like USB, Firewire, VGI or DVI or HDMI display, etc. Larger boxes have built-in DVD-RW devices. Smaller boxes rely on external devices. (My Lenovo has a docking "side car".)

The "tablet" part, involves the screen and pointer. The screen includes a digitizer and responds to a stylus. (My Lenovo uses a Wacom device.) Some also respond to either single or multiple finger touch.
The traditional laptop+screen makes it awkward to use a stylus or finger and so many "tablet-PC" devices include mechanical features that enable one to re-orient the display into some sort of legal-pad footprint. Lastly, there are extra mechanical buttons for use while in "tablet-mode" because the keyboard is often obscured mechanically.

Respectfully,
~~~ 0;-Dan