PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Xubuntu 11.10 - Unable to find or create wastebasket directory

Kronalias
November 3rd, 2011, 06:07 PM
In my flight to sanity from Unity to Xfce (Xubuntu 11.10) I've hit a little hiccup.

When I try to delete a file on a network shared directory using Thunar this message pops up in a window ...
"Unable to find or create wastebasket directory"

Using Thunar I can quite happily create files and copy them in that directory - but not delete them.

I'd really appreciate a little help please - any ideas would be very welcome!

LewisTM
November 3rd, 2011, 09:37 PM
Would be interested in solving that too. It's certainly a bug for non UNIX filesystems.
For now, you can just Shift-delete. This will erase the file without attempting to send it to the trash.

gsmanners
November 3rd, 2011, 10:50 PM
This problem is similar to:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=114774

Kronalias
November 4th, 2011, 11:30 AM
@LewisTM: Thanks! Shift-delete does what I want, so I've marked the thread as solved.

@gsmanners: Also thanks!
I've been mucking about with my /etc/fstab - specifically this line:

UUID=0b0164cf-331b-45c9-a019-d2ccfa4be8ee / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1I confirmed my UID was 1000 with this:

-u MY_USERNAMEand then included uid=1000 in the options. Aall that happened was that the system was unable to mount /
Annoyingly the whole system would only boot in read only mode, so I used a rescue CD to edit fstab back to normal.

Worth a try, but I think I'll just put up with a lack of wastebasket - after all, it's no different from working at the command line...

Cheers, K

LewisTM
November 4th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Hmm, I can confirm that gsmanners's solution does work.
I appended uid=1000,gid=1000 to my network share fstab entry (an SMB share)
Don't do that for you root '/' entry, that will mess things up for sure!

Now I can send files to the trash and restore them no problem
Still a bug to me but easily fixed

Kronalias
November 4th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Don't do that for you root '/' entry, that will mess things up for sure!I did and it did :oops:

Now I think I know why I should set up the partitions manually rather than let the Ubuntu installer just bung in root and swap...