PDA

View Full Version : C++ discard qualifiers error

erotavlas
November 3rd, 2011, 03:40 PM
Hi,

I have a question about the "discards qualifiers" error. I have searched a lot on the web, but I can solve only a few cases when the error appears. For example I have written a snippet of code that replicates the error on my program.

class Element
{
public:

typedef std::map<std::string, const std::vector<double>* > FunctionValuesElement;

Element(const int number_of_element, const double value)
{
// some operation to fill the map
std::vector<double> temp(number_of_element, value);
function_values_element["Id_1"] = &temp;
}

~Element()
{
// deallocate the function_values_element
}

const FunctionValuesElement& SetFunctionValuesElement(const FunctionValuesElement& function_values_element_)
{
for(FunctionValuesElement::const_iterator it =
function_values_element_.begin();
it != function_values_element_.end(); ++it)
{
function_values_element[it->first] = it->second; // first error
}

return function_values_element;
}

const FunctionValuesElement& GetFunctionValuesElement() const // second error
{
return function_values_element;
}

private:

FunctionValuesElement function_values_element;

};

and the error is

error: passing ‘const Element::FunctionValuesElement’ as ‘this’ argument of ‘mapped_type& std::map<_Key, _Tp, _Compare, _Alloc>::operator[](const key_type&) [with _Key = std::basic_string<char>, _Tp = const std::vector<double>*, _Compare = std::less<std::basic_string<char> >, _Alloc = std::allocator<std::pair<const std::basic_string<char>, const std::vector<double>*> >, mapped_type = const std::vector<double>*, key_type = std::basic_string<char>]’ discards qualifiers

An other error is this

error: passing ‘const Elements’ as ‘this’ argument of ‘const Elements::FunctionValuesElement& Elements::GetFunctionValuesElement()’ discards qualifiers

I can solve the second error by removing the const keyword from the declaration of the function, but in other case the error doesn't disappear.

So I can't understand how can I solve this type of error. Any help is appreciate.

Thank you

GeneralZod
November 3rd, 2011, 04:52 PM
Compiles fine, here. However, in Element's constructor, you are storing a pointer to a local variable which will almost surely triggered Undefined Behaviour later on.

Edit:

If you're trying to do something like

e.GetFunctionValuesElement()["sausage"]';

this will trigger the first error, as std::map::operator[] is non-const (you want to use std::map::find instead).

I have no idea what you're doing to get the second error, though. The only thing I could think of to trigger it would be to declare GetFunctionValuesElement() as non-const and try to call it on a const Element.

Can you give us a complete program that shows the two errors?

erotavlas
November 4th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Hi,

thank you for your fast reply. I have solved the second error. It is a due to const attribute in function declaration. I have missed it in my code...

For the first error you are right...

Thank you very much.