PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] should i remove before installation

karlb1483
November 3rd, 2011, 01:06 PM
Hi

I have been testing and enjoying Ubuntu for several weeks now and have decided to go for a windows dual boot (got to keep windows for work)

I have Ubuntu 11.10 running happily and with no problems on a Lenovo SL 500 and was wondering if i need to remove the Wubi instal from windows before taking the dip.

Also are there any know issue with my Thinkpad Lenovo sl500, i cant seem to find any and everything is running great.

Cheers

darkod
November 3rd, 2011, 01:20 PM
I would personally remove wubi first. For dual boot you will need to free some unallocated space, and by keeping wubi that will also take up space on the windows partition.

Make sure you copy any files you want to keep, google for the correct procedure to remove it (not using wubi myself), using windows disk management shrink your windows partition to create unallocated space (if running vista or 7 it has the tool to shrink), and then just install onto the unallocated space.

Frogs Hair
November 3rd, 2011, 03:27 PM
Wubi can interfere with running the ISO cd in some cases . As stated above I use Windows disk management to shrink the disk volume and use that space for Ubuntu .

bcbc
November 3rd, 2011, 06:42 PM
There's no reason to remove wubi before doing a dual boot installation - except as stated by darkod: to make more space. It cannot interfere with a dual boot install.

You can even migrate (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1519354) the wubi so you don't have to set everything up again.