PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to prevent wallpaper changing in Ubuntu 11.10

news_js
November 3rd, 2011, 03:38 AM
Hi!

I need to prevent the user from changing the wallpaper in Ubuntu 11.10. In previous versions it was easy:

chmod 744 /usr/bin/gnome-appearance-properties

But in Ubuntu 11.10 gnome-appearance-properties file is not there.

Thanks.

news_js
November 3rd, 2011, 11:38 PM
Hi!

Is there any way to do this? I've searched the web and find no answer.

phDaemon
November 4th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Which DM are you using? Gnome or unity?

news_js
November 4th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Which DM are you using? Gnome or unity?

I think it's unity. But if necessary, I can switch to Gnome.

ranjit.
November 9th, 2011, 04:59 PM
well, there is no file gnome-appearance-properties.desktop in /usr/share folders, they have either changed the name of the file or they have moved the file to another location, I really needed the file cause i wanted to change my login screen using that file, If any one can find out what is the alternative for the file it would be really helpful:guitar:

Rakeshvijayan
February 29th, 2012, 09:38 AM
how it possible

talkingtek
March 28th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Did you find an answer for this? I'm looking for the same answer as well. Let me know if find out the answer. Thanks!

I'm using gnome.

Krytarik
March 28th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Please see this doc how to really "lock down" specific settings keys in Gnome 3, it even has the wallpaper as the example:

http://live.gnome.org/dconf/SystemAdministrators

But definitely also lock down this key, to make sure the wallpaper is also displayed at all/correctly:

"/org/gnome/desktop/background/picture-options"

As for 'chmoding' "gnome-appearance-properties" in Gnome 2, that was a cheap, improper method in the first place, as there are at least 3 ways to circumvent that virtual block: GConf-Editor, "gconftool-2" command, editing the concerning XML file directly; plus, the 'lock' would be undone by an upgrade of the respective package, "gnome-control-center".

Regards.