PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GEDIT issue

lm77054
November 3rd, 2011, 03:33 AM
I hope I can explain this sufficiently. I'm working with UBUNTU as a Windows app. Right now, I'm developing the procedure to insure my UBUNTU config is what I want (see my other one about hardware), building a checklist. When I attempt to edit the smb.conf file, logged on with my regular ID, I get, as expected, a security error (can't write). So I open a terminal window, issue the command of sudo su, enter my password, and I get the terminal prompt back. I then try to start gedit in the terminal window (using "gedit" (no quotes)), and get an error telling me to use gedit --help. I don't understand why this is happening. I can use gedit from a terminal window when not using sudo su, but not when I use sudo su. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

papibe
November 3rd, 2011, 03:42 AM
The easiest way to use gksudo:

gksudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
Hope it helps,
Regards.

lisati
November 3rd, 2011, 03:46 AM
Further to what papibe said, use "sudo" for command-line stuff that needs admin permissions, and gksudo for GUI-based programs. For more information, have a look at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

lm77054
November 3rd, 2011, 02:04 PM
I appreciate the replies. But one more question has surfaced. When I use the gksudo.... command, I get the following. What's up? I use the UBUNTU 11.10 CD and did a standard install (used the defaults). Thanks in advance! ========================= (gksudo:1709): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap", (gksudo:1709): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap", (gksudo:1709): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap", (gksudo:1709): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap", (gedit:1711): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory (gedit:1711): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.J2XQ4V': No such file or directory (gedit:1711): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory (gedit:1711): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.9ZIT4V': No such file or directory (gedit:1711): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

lm77054
November 3rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=lm77054;11421115]I appreciate the replies. But one more question has surfaced. When I use the gksudo.... command, I get the following. What's up? I use the UBUNTU 11.10 CD and did a standard install (used the defaults). Thanks in advance! ========================= (gksudo:1709): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap", (gksudo:1709): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap", (gksudo:1709): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap", (gksudo:1709): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap", (gedit:1711): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory (gedit:1711): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.J2XQ4V': No such file or directory (gedit:1711): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory (gedit:1711): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.9ZIT4V': No such file or directory (gedit:1711): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory