PDA

View Full Version : "Weird" food combinations you've tried

wolfen69
November 3rd, 2011, 02:56 AM
What food have you eaten out, or made yourself that might get you strange looks by people in your area of the world?

Don't ask me why, but I always wanted to try a bacon & peanut butter sandwich, and finally made one. It will be the last time I eat it. It wasn't because it tasted bad, but the peanut butter completely overtook the taste of the bacon. It was just like eating crunchy PB. And I love bacon too much to not be able to taste it. You?

http://www.drvino.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Peanut-Butter-Bacon-Sandwic.jpg

sammiev
November 3rd, 2011, 03:03 AM
Hi wolfen, looks so good I will have to try that. :)

CharlesA
November 3rd, 2011, 03:09 AM
Oh my.

Deep fried mars bar.

as2000
November 3rd, 2011, 03:27 AM
Try peanut butter, banana and mayo. Heck of an energy kick!;)

wolfen69
November 3rd, 2011, 04:02 AM

I've had PB & banana, but the mayo part kind of grosses me out.

CharlesA
November 3rd, 2011, 04:21 AM
I've had PB & banana, but the mayo part kind of grosses me out.

That's what did it for me too..

thatguruguy
November 3rd, 2011, 04:26 AM
Today for lunch I had 16 bean soup with a poached egg on top.

It was really good. SRSLY.

JDShu
November 3rd, 2011, 04:33 AM
Oh my.

Deep fried mars bar.

Isn't that an Irish thing?

I've always enjoyed the cream soda + milk combination.

CharlesA
November 3rd, 2011, 04:39 AM
Isn't that an Irish thing?

Not sure. You can get them at fairs.

KiwiNZ
November 3rd, 2011, 04:41 AM
Deep fried Mars Bars, Bacon and Peanut butter, what are you people thinking. Respect your palette and respect your stomach please. :P:eek:

drawkcab
November 3rd, 2011, 07:08 AM
I've always really liked super spicy chili and peanut butter bread. I don't know why. Maybe the oils in the peanut butter somehow neutralize the heat?

vehemoth
November 3rd, 2011, 07:15 AM
Not really that weird but baked beans and rice crackers. Also baked beans on corn chips with baby corn and cabbage. Also I drink tonic water just by itself.

Glenn nl
November 3rd, 2011, 01:36 PM
Banana porridge (milk with mashed banana), peanutbutter with hagelslag (Dutch choco sprinkles), peanutbutter and marmelade.
Most are experiments, and not all my experiments work.
I once added some cacao to Brinta (Dutch porridge) and nearly threw up. :P

wolfen69
November 4th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Banana porridge (milk with mashed banana)

That actually sounds pretty good. Almost like a banana milkshake.

lykwydchykyn
November 4th, 2011, 03:40 AM
Had a friend who like peanut butter on hot dogs. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good enough.

I used to work at a pizza place and tried about everything on pizza that I could. My favourite combination was cashews and feta. OTOH asparagus is not one I'd recommend.

On the subject of peanut butter, I had a friend who used to make this killer pasta sauce from tuna, peanut butter, hot sauce, and tomato paste, but somehow nobody could quite reproduce the recipe.

When I was a kid my brother and I would create milkshakes by chucking just about anything we liked into a blender with ice cream and milk. I think the most memorable involved strawberry jelly, a banana, chocolate sauce, a donut, a good squeeze of honey, and maybe some pecans. It was.. memorable.

None of this seems all that weird, though.

LowSky
November 4th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Today for lunch I had 16 bean soup with a poached egg on top.

It was really good. SRSLY.

What were the 16 type pf beans?

or was it only 16 beans in the soup, lol

I'm a huge fan of cream cheese and bacon on a poppy seed bagel.

vehemoth
November 4th, 2011, 04:51 AM
Now that I think about it, I used to eat american mustard on toast just by itself. I don't know if it's that weird but I eat yeast flakes sprinkled on top of soup (or on the side with toast)

wolfen69
November 4th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Had a friend who like peanut butter on hot dogs. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good enough.

I could bring myself to try it, but not sure I'd like it. PB tends to overpower other tastes.

On the subject of peanut butter, I had a friend who used to make this killer pasta sauce from tuna, peanut butter, hot sauce, and tomato paste, but somehow nobody could quite reproduce the recipe.
That is definitely different. I'm crazy enough to try it. Btw, I watch that show called Bizarre Foods, and love it. For those that don't know, it's a show with an american host, and he travels around the world and he eats things most people wouldn't.

When I was a kid my brother and I would create milkshakes by chucking just about anything we liked into a blender with ice cream and milk. I think the most memorable involved strawberry jelly, a banana, chocolate sauce, a donut, a good squeeze of honey, and maybe some pecans. It was.. memorable.

I remember times like that too. When you're young, combinations of sweet things is always good.

None of this seems all that weird, though.
Actually, I was hoping for responses like bug (insects are high in protein) stories, and "different" parts of animals consumed.

I recently found out about "stinky tofu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinky_tofu)". I'm not going to explain it, just youtube it. Sick stuff. If Andrew Zimmern can't eat it, I don't need to try it. ;)

inobe
November 4th, 2011, 05:31 AM
weird is a choice ribeye steak medium rare with a glass of milk!

mamamia88
November 4th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Not exactly a combo but i once washed down coldstone creamery with a ipa

wolfen69
November 4th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Not exactly a combo but i once washed down coldstone creamery with a ipa

Is that an Indiana thing? what's ipa?

inobe
November 4th, 2011, 05:52 AM
this would be weird, not what it contains, but it's weight...

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o3/dreamofmidnight/Funny/Bitterwallet-bacon-sandwich.jpg

that's like a side of pork :lol:

wojox
November 4th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Beer and Chocolate ;)

wolfen69
November 4th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Beer and Chocolate ;)

Talk about a carb rush...

wojox
November 4th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Talk about a carb rush...

If your worried about that then cut out the chocolate part. :P

But seriously try a good beer and a Hershey's Bar.

wolfen69
November 4th, 2011, 06:13 AM
this would be weird, not what it contains, but it's weight...

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o3/dreamofmidnight/Funny/Bitterwallet-bacon-sandwich.jpg

that's like a side of pork :lol:

If you had an army to feed, maybe. It's crazy that some people try and eat all that bacon. Purposely overeating to the point of sickness can't be good for you. :P

wolfen69
November 4th, 2011, 06:20 AM
But seriously try a good beer and a Hershey's Bar.

Nice, but I'll take a good cigar and a hersheys bar. Sounds good.

rjbl
November 4th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Try the old Icelandic classic of Brenniwin and Shark meat sometime. It is very memorable; Brenniwin (Icelandic schnapps is about 40% ABV and is the about nearest thing known to drinking laboratory grade ethanol). Shark, a la Iceland, is served after it has been allowed to putrify, anaerobically, for several years wrapped in clay. Completely memorable but don't over do it. The hangover appears before you finish the first glass. Enjoy! :P

rjbl

mips
November 4th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Shark, a la Iceland, is served after it has been allowed to putrify, anaerobically, for several years wrapped in clay. Completely memorable but don't over do it.

That stuff smells like amonia, think they do the same with wale.

Linuxratty
November 4th, 2011, 01:07 PM

Yup,that's good.

Apple and peanut butter,also good.

Kosher dill pickles and peanut butter.

Potato pancakes with mustard.

Pears,mayo and cheese...Very nice.

Garland Fox
November 4th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Yep, try scrambled eggs and chili (meat not the pepper chilies)

Garland Fox
November 4th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Anyone notice strange tastes in some foods lately?
I have bought bags of potatoes that neither taste nor smell like potatoes.
And commercial white breads seem like they have lost taste.
No seasoning in name brand sausages to speak of another.

CharlesA
November 4th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Yep, try scrambled eggs and chili (meat not the pepper chilies)

That sounds kinda good, actually.

Wonder if you could wrap that in a tortilla and call it breakfast.

qwertyomen
November 4th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Maybe not so weird, but salsa and eggs. Camping in Alaska my uncle put almost everything we cooked in tortillas, we put brats, sausages, everything. then we used some mustard and ketchup packets we got from a fast food restaurant. We also ended up trading someone hot chocolate for butter. Only after we saved the bacon grease for if we needed to cook anything else that might need butter! :D Needless to say, it was a fun trip and we caught lots of fish!

Simian Man
November 4th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Anyone notice strange tastes in some foods lately?
I have bought bags of potatoes that neither taste nor smell like potatoes.
And commercial white breads seem like they have lost taste.
No seasoning in name brand sausages to speak of another.

Yes tomatoes are the worst. They don't smell or taste like tomatoes at all. The "on the vine" ones are a little better than the other kinds though.

I had a tomato from my grandparents garden not long ago and was shocked how much better it tasted.

thatguruguy
November 4th, 2011, 04:17 PM
What were the 16 type pf beans?

or was it only 16 beans in the soup, lol

I'm a huge fan of cream cheese and bacon on a poppy seed bagel.

16 bean soup (http://www.livestrong.com/article/289498-16-bean-soup-calories/). High in protein, low in fat. Add an egg, and you get extra protein.

thatguruguy
November 4th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Yes tomatoes are the worst. They don't smell or taste like tomatoes at all. The "on the vine" ones are a little better than the other kinds though.

I had a tomato from my grandparents garden not long ago and was shocked how much better it tasted.

My wife and I get our tomatoes from either the farmers' market or our own back yard. The things you get at a grocery store are worthless.

BillyBoa
November 4th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Chilly and milk

wojox
November 4th, 2011, 05:04 PM
That sounds kinda good, actually.

Wonder if you could wrap that in a tortilla and call it breakfast.

Definitely, with some grilled potatoes or hash brown. :p

CharlesA
November 4th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Definitely, with some grilled potatoes or hash brown. :p
Sounds like some good food to me!

sammiev
November 4th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Maybe not so weird, but salsa and eggs. Camping in Alaska my uncle put almost everything we cooked in tortillas, we put brats, sausages, everything. then we used some mustard and ketchup packets we got from a fast food restaurant. We also ended up trading someone hot chocolate for butter. Only after we saved the bacon grease for if we needed to cook anything else that might need butter! :D Needless to say, it was a fun trip and we caught lots of fish!

You camp like us. I think it's normal for us bush folks. :)

odiseo77
November 4th, 2011, 08:06 PM
When I was a kid, I used to mix a malt carbonate drink we have here with milk. Tastes good, but it's heavy on the stomach :). (I still do it, once in a while).
I also remember mixing oak with powder milk and brown sugar.

Kaparen
November 4th, 2011, 08:28 PM
One weird combination me and my friend did a lot of years ago was to boil spaghetti and tea together. Seems kinda stupid these days but I think we figured that we both like tea, we both like spaghetti so it must be good...right? The idea was that the tea would flavour the spaghetti, well it did but it wasn't tasty. We felt kinda nauseous after eating it. Another milestone in my book ;)

BBQdave
November 4th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Chocolate covered bacon is not bad. And I once had a deep fried Peanut butter and Jelly sandwich, that was good.

So hence forth, I like to bake my PB and J's in the oven.:)

isantop
November 8th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Chocolate covered bacon is not bad. And I once had a deep fried Peanut butter and Jelly sandwich, that was good.

So hence forth, I like to bake my PB and J's in the oven.:)

I've heard that praline bacon is delicious. I'm looking forward to trying it!

wolfen69
November 8th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I've heard that praline bacon is delicious. I'm looking forward to trying it!

I just looked it up, and have to say it sounds interesting.

forrestcupp
November 8th, 2011, 06:49 PM
One weird combination me and my friend did a lot of years ago was to boil spaghetti and tea together. Seems kinda stupid these days but I think we figured that we both like tea, we both like spaghetti so it must be good...right? The idea was that the tea would flavour the spaghetti, well it did but it wasn't tasty. We felt kinda nauseous after eating it. Another milestone in my book ;)

If you're going to talk about those types of things, I guess I could bring up when I was a little kid and I thought it would be a good idea to make birthday cake soup with crumbled up birthday cake in a bowl full of hot tap water.

For all you bacon freaks, one time Conan O'Brien had a bottle of bacon flavored vodka. I like bacon, but not that much.

duke.tim
November 8th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Crickets and Ginger Beer, And they Don't taste like Chicken.

BillyBoa
November 8th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Bacon and eggs with :popcorn:

johnnybgoode83
November 8th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Once, on holiday, I had a chocolate chip cookie sandwich with salad cream. It was very good but that may have been because I was very drunk.

Shazaam
November 8th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Peanut butter, dill pickle, and mayo sammich. mmmmmmm.

wolfen69
November 9th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Peanut butter, dill pickle, and mayo sammich. mmmmmmm.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/27529_103181316387687_884_n.jpg

duke.tim
November 9th, 2011, 05:10 AM
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/27529_103181316387687_884_n.jpg

+1