PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] File/Folder Information Display

lhb1142
November 3rd, 2011, 01:26 AM
I recently installed Xubuntu as I do not care for Ubuntu/Unity. Xubuntu appears to be much faster than Ubuntu. Almost everything functions the same with at least the following exception:

When I used Ubuntu it was possible to go to "Configure Columns" and choose to see Size, Date of Modification, and a few other things - and, when using Icon view mode, I could see information underneath the title of the file or folder. Under the folder title I could see how many items were contained within that folder and underneath any file I could see the size of that file.

This ability is not present in my new Xubuntu, at least in Icon view mode. It IS available, to some extent, when setting the view mode to "View as Detailed List".

I would much prefer to have my folders appear as icons. Is there some way to enable the information to show under the file/folder title in Xubuntu?

Thanks for any information you can give me.

agillator
November 3rd, 2011, 01:38 AM
Youo don't say what file manager you were using, but here is a thread that will tell you how to change to nautilus if that is any help:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1081044.

Jose Catre-Vandis
November 3rd, 2011, 02:27 AM
Closest I can get is if you turn off thumbnails and use detailed or compact view in Thunar. Try increasing the size of the folders (CTRL+ScrollWheel) too.

lhb1142
November 4th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Closest I can get is if you turn off thumbnails and use detailed or compact view in Thunar. Try increasing the size of the folders (CTRL+ScrollWheel) too.

That's what I'll have to do, I suppose. Note to 'agillator:' I am using the Thunar file manager and, at least at this time, I do not want to switch to Nautilus.

Thanks to both of you for responding to me.

Lawrence

Jose Catre-Vandis
November 4th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Out of interest, can you provide a screenshot of how you want it to look, i.e. the view you were getting in nautilus?

lhb1142
November 5th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Out of interest, can you provide a screenshot of how you want it to look, i.e. the view you were getting in nautilus?

Dear Mr. Catre-Vandis,

I cannot provide a screenshot but I can tell you that when I would go into my Home folder, for example, there are the usual folders - Desktop, Downloads, Music, Pictures, etc. - displayed in Icon view. Underneath each icon, I was formerly able to set my preferences to show how many items were included in each folder.

The same applied for sub-folders included within a 'main' folder. As for individual files, the size of the file would show under the file name.

That was in Nautilus (using the standard Ubuntu installation).

This appears to be not possible in Xubuntu (using the Thunar file manager).

I can show this information if I select View as Detailed List so this is what I am doing. It is easy to switch back and forth using Ctrl + 1 and Ctrl + 2 but it is a minor annoyance. I would much prefer to have the information displayed as it was in Nautilus.

But, frankly, this is the only 'complaint' I have about Xubuntu. I am highly pleased with EVERYTHING else about it and, unless Canonical fouls it up (as they did with Ubuntu and Unity), or improves Ubuntu and Unity, I shall continue to use Xubuntu.

I am using Xubuntu on my main laptop as well as our two netbooks. My wife is using Linux Mint on her laptop. I am also using Lubuntu on an almost ten-year old notebook (512 MB RAM - the maximum it will handle); I use that one solely as an internet radio.

I had tried Unity (as Ubuntu Netbook Remix) on a netbook over a year ago and I did not like it. I should hope that it will improve but until such time, if any, as it does, I still very much dislike it. If I wanted a "Mac" look and operation, I should have bought a Mac. (I effected a fresh installation of Ubuntu 11.10 by 'wiping' our computers and we used it for about a week. After both my wife and I were frustrated with Unity, I 'wiped' the computers again and installed Linux Mint. I was not too pleased with that - though my wife was and is - so I 'wiped' three of the computers - not hers - a third time and installed Xubuntu. With the one exception about which I write here, I am very pleased with it.)

Thanks for writing to me.

Lawrence