PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu alternative

bowens44
November 3rd, 2011, 12:51 AM
After using Ubuntu exclusively since hardy I am looking for another distro. I am curious about which distro those of you , who like me, have found unity to be unusable have moved to.

I tried Linux mint 11 but had too many unresolvable issues. I was thinking about fedora but I'm not sure that I want to to gnome 3 yet.

So where did you go and why?

Thanks for your opinions.

agillator
November 3rd, 2011, 02:21 AM
If you liked ubuntu before the Unity - what I consider a debacle - you might take a look at xubuntu (Ubuntu with xfce). At first I saw its limitations, or what I thought were its limitations, but the more I work with it the better I like it. Just remember you are starting way down on the learning curve again so will have to learn a lot of things all over again.

I used to use Fedora and I liked it. It is a good distribution. However, for me at least when new versions were released there always seemed to be too many problems. Eventually they were all fixed, but it was usually about half way through the time until the next version was released. If you want to be on the absolute cutting edge and enjoy the challenge of finding and helping fix problems, Fedora is an excellent distribution. Or, you can stay one version behind and keep a good, usable system working. I do think apt-get/aptitude/etc. is a better system than yum, though, although my experience with yum is a couple of years old.

3rdalbum
November 3rd, 2011, 03:29 AM
After using Ubuntu exclusively since hardy I am looking for another distro. I am curious about which distro those of you , who like me, have found unity to be unusable have moved to.

I tried Linux mint 11 but had too many unresolvable issues. I was thinking about fedora but I'm not sure that I want to to gnome 3 yet.

So where did you go and why?

I'm not sure where you expect to be able to go to.

If you want Gnome 3, KDE, XFCE etc you can get them on Ubuntu.

If you want Gnome 2, your options are a little more limited and will get more limited as time goes by. Slackware and Debian Stable will be the last Gnome 2 holdouts, and I don't know if you want to go down those routes.

The other thing you'll need to think about is how long it will take you to get used to a different distro. A few days? A week? More than a week? Most people can get comfortable with Unity within a week, and make the most of its new features; will moving to a different distro take more time and be more painful than just learning Unity?

It's your choice, of course. But if you want Gnome 2 for as long as possible you'll need to adopt a slow-release-cycle, conservative distro. Even then you still won't have Gnome 2 forever. If you want something that's not Gnome 2, then there's not really a reason to move distro as it's trivially easy to install other DEs on top of Ubuntu.

arunb
November 3rd, 2011, 06:58 AM
Open Suse and Fedora may be OK, Mandriva works well in my experience

sffvba[e0rt
November 3rd, 2011, 07:24 AM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Not a Testimonial...

kaldor
November 3rd, 2011, 08:04 AM
Scientific Linux :)

ilovelinux33467
November 3rd, 2011, 08:48 AM
Fedora with KDE.

Jacobonbuntu
November 3rd, 2011, 08:50 AM
I praise the Ubuntu forum for its tolerance, but you do know, I hope, this is kind of an odd thread? using a forum (it costs money to run a forum you know) for users not even to discuss about Ubuntu, but to discuss where to go?
I haven't got the slightest interest in who is using Ubuntu or not, but I seriously believe this is against general rules of decency

BrokenKingpin
November 3rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
Xubuntu, I find the new release quite good, and using it my primary OS on all my machines.

If you don't want something in the Ubuntu family give openSUSE a try.

TBABill
November 3rd, 2011, 04:23 PM
I praise the Ubuntu forum for its tolerance, but you do know, I hope, this is kind of an odd thread? using a forum (it costs money to run a forum you know) for users not even to discuss about Ubuntu, but to discuss where to go?
I haven't got the slightest interest in who is using Ubuntu or not, but I seriously believe this is against general rules of decency
I'm not sure I totally agree, although I do see the merit of the argument to discuss Ubuntu on the Ubuntu board. However, many people use several different distros, explore the strengths and weaknesses of other distros, and even use other distros but still offer input and help here for Ubuntu users. I am currently running Ubuntu on more than one machine, but for quite some time I was using others. I still kept with the community and helped/discussed various topics and assisted where I could.

While it helps that users stick with Ubuntu, many leave and come back or just explore and use more than just Ubuntu. Asking these types of questions doesn't really pull people away from the community. They're already looking to venture out onto other distros and it says a lot about the character of the forum and its members that they can discuss these these things without "recruiting" users away from Ubuntu. I like to hear all the perspectives about other distros, but Ubuntu is one of my "good ol' faithful" distros of choice.

aeiah
November 3rd, 2011, 04:45 PM
consider debian, or just ubuntu minimal and put whatever desktop environment and/or window manager you choose on top

xtremo
November 3rd, 2011, 04:49 PM
Xubuntu and Lubuntu are good alternatives.

Mazate
November 3rd, 2011, 04:50 PM
I used Fedora KDE before I switched to Ubuntu and I liked it a lot. You have to do more things manually there such as installing flash and other things like that but otherwise it always worked great for me and I always got great support on the forums.

Simian Man
November 3rd, 2011, 04:55 PM
I used to use Fedora and I liked it. It is a good distribution. However, for me at least when new versions were released there always seemed to be too many problems. Eventually they were all fixed, but it was usually about half way through the time until the next version was released.
Just so you know, Fedora has changed their release strategy to avoid this problem. The final releases are really solid and updates almost never cause problems now.

Fedora with KDE.
This is what I use and I love it.

rushikesh988
November 3rd, 2011, 04:56 PM
there are many alternative t ubuntu ...I personally like suse linux and mandriva bt Support to ubuntu is much more than that versions of linux

I suggest you to use ubuntu if you have any problem discuss here....
otherwise mandriva is the best ! you can also go for fedora or slackware .....slackwave has all things preisntalled

BBQdave
November 3rd, 2011, 06:01 PM

Debian6 is rock solid and uses Gnome 2.30.2 as the main desktop. So you have support for G2 (Debian7 not released yet and Debian6 will be supported beyond D7's release).

A good distro with Gnome3 is Fedora Linux. Though when Debian6 is no longer supported, I will most likely stick with Debian and Gnome3, as Debian does a good job with easing us dinosaurs through transition (and friendlier-more stable environment).:D

peter d
November 3rd, 2011, 06:55 PM
If all you want is "not Unity" any distro will do including all of the *buntu versions. Fedora, OpenSuse, PCLinuxOS, Debian and a host of others are well supported with good communities. Try a few. See what you like best.

KL_72_TR
November 3rd, 2011, 07:05 PM
https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/501808-fedora-16-is-coming-with-big-changes

stalkingwolf
November 3rd, 2011, 07:17 PM
Zorin or bodhi are nice also

northwestuntu
November 3rd, 2011, 07:54 PM

i found linux mint 11 to be a fantastic release.