yes, kilt. kilted dedded

fremantle
November 2nd, 2011, 11:05 PM
is this u? :p
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/garland-fox/a/8a9/190

PapaGary
November 2nd, 2011, 11:12 PM
Is Using my real name a bad thing?

No of course not. On the other hand no one would know that it was your real name if you hadn't of posted this. :P

Hey, it could be worse: you could have chosen something like Noobie, then a few months from now when you attempted to give advice to new forum members they wouldn't take you seriously due to your sign on name.

I wouldn't worry about it. You shouldn't either.

forrestcupp
November 2nd, 2011, 11:12 PM
No. My name is forrestcupp Johnson. :)

Seriously, though, if you feel like you shouldn't have done that for your safety, go to the Forum Feedback & Help or Resolution section and start a thread asking a mod to change your username. They would do it if you fear for your safety.

BBQdave
November 2nd, 2011, 11:17 PM
you basically just kilt yourself

yes, kilt. kilted dedded

I appreciate the safety zone of some anonymity, and the fun of a persona; what exactly is the unofficial official rule about names on forums?:)

PapaGary
November 2nd, 2011, 11:24 PM
...what exactly is the unofficial official rule about names on forums?:)

Having been on forums for about twelve years I've seen all kinds of sign on names. I can't see where it gives up anything to use your real name. That is unless you've got an ex-spouse looking for you due non payment of support...:D

Garland- If you look around on this forum you will notice several people using their real names. (Or at least they sound real...)

Garland Fox
November 2nd, 2011, 11:25 PM
Nope- fraid not - that not me

fatality_uk
November 2nd, 2011, 11:27 PM
I ALWAYS use my real name in all ONLINE forums....

PapaGary
November 2nd, 2011, 11:39 PM
I ALWAYS use my real name in all ONLINE forums....

See.......

grahammechanical
November 3rd, 2011, 04:03 AM
At least you did not make your email address public. That been done before now. Do not worry. We will tell everyone it is a made up name.

Regards.

PapaGary
November 3rd, 2011, 04:14 AM
At least you did not make your email address public. That been done before now. Do not worry. We will tell everyone it is a made up name.
Sure, it must be made up. Nobody would really name their child Garland, would they? :wink:

weasel fierce
November 3rd, 2011, 04:39 AM
Honestly, I've been tempted to start doing that. I don't really have any particular fears about it.

mmsmc
November 3rd, 2011, 07:07 AM
if someone wanted your name they would find you with no problem, if you have no reason to worry about it go for it, i have and never will use my real name, but hey im just paranoid

lisati
November 3rd, 2011, 07:15 AM
Sure, it must be made up. Nobody would really name their child Garland, would they? :wink:

Well, maybe, maybe not. It's a famous name (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000023/).

My screen name here does have a connection with my real name, but it isn't this (https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-QgXr_Y5C9aQku5tqQaQ2GUWb7ULqDX8ZoY_OSZOOTMvoHZGEeQ ).

ubuntu27
November 3rd, 2011, 07:33 AM
My name is related to Ubuntu, no really :lolflag:

forrestcupp
November 3rd, 2011, 02:03 PM
My screen name here does have a connection with my real name, but it isn't this (https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-QgXr_Y5C9aQku5tqQaQ2GUWb7ULqDX8ZoY_OSZOOTMvoHZGEeQ ).

Lol. I just assumed Lisati is your last name because you're always talking about Mrs. Lisati. :)

matt_symes
November 3rd, 2011, 02:09 PM
You've posted an interesting question........ ;)

Bandit
November 3rd, 2011, 02:37 PM
Using your real name isnt bad, may make you feel more accountable for your postings though.. hehe

Wouldnt use a SSN tho, that would be bad.

Gremlinzzz
November 3rd, 2011, 02:40 PM
Is Using my real name a bad thing?

What do you think?
I say no unless your the only person in the world with that name or a wanted criminal:popcorn:

I didn't know it was a real name till now.

CharlesA
November 3rd, 2011, 03:52 PM
You've posted an interesting question........ ;)

Things that make you go "hmmm" ...

;)

vicshrike
November 3rd, 2011, 03:59 PM
Relax, cool name.

DangerOnTheRanger
November 3rd, 2011, 04:51 PM

He's lucky; I share a name with an 80's cartoon character.

nerdybrunette
November 3rd, 2011, 05:23 PM
I had my real name as my username at first too, and I ended up regretting it. If you post a request to change your name in the "Forum Feedback & Help" forum, they'll change it for you within 24 hours.

BeRoot ReBoot
November 3rd, 2011, 06:10 PM
As a general rule I avoid giving out any personal data anywhere on the internet or to people who aren't legally entitled to it in RL. If asked to, it's always safer to provide made-up data. And for good measure, make it contradictory. It makes the occasional dive into the spam folder much more entertaining.

Brian0312
November 3rd, 2011, 11:47 PM
The way I think about it is this:

How many people do you give your name to in a day out in the world? Any one of them could be social engineers. In the end, your name is not a huge amount of your personal info. Also, a person with sinister intentions can probably get the info inside of a day if they wanted to, changing your online name wouldn't help that.

Garland Fox
November 14th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks for all the inputs...
Lot of interesting thoughts.
Think I try posting "cleanly" and let it ride as is.
Thanks

PapaGary
November 16th, 2011, 11:58 PM
I had my real name as my username at first too, and I ended up regretting it.
Wimp.:rolleyes:

Think I try posting "cleanly" and let it ride as is.
Thanks
That's the man!:smile:

stalkingwolf
November 18th, 2011, 02:36 PM
define "real Name" are you talking about legal name? My user name here is a real name, it was given me by a group i belong to. To them even though they know my legal name and have for many years that is the only name that is used. And it is a shortened because like connie francis my full name wont fit on a record label.

Swagman
November 18th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Well here's a little test..

Using the info available by my username...

Googling Swagman, Peterborough, Ubuntu

Results (https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=swagman+peterborough+ubuntu&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gl=uk)

Yup that's me.. And scrolling down the results you find my real name.

Oh well... I'm d00med

CharlesA
November 18th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Oh well... I'm d00med

I must be really d00med then cuz my web site has my real name.. :P

JKyleOKC
November 18th, 2011, 08:17 PM
A few years ago, I did an AltaVista search (it was in the days before Google) for my name, just out of curiosity.

I got some 500 hits, only three of which were actually me. Of those three, two listed addresses I had not had since 1962.

My point is that few of us have absolutely unique names, so the odds are great that our names are shared with others around the world. One of my "shares" is a physician in the UK and another is a senator in Tennessee, for both of whom I've received misdirected e-mail. Another is an artist in Chicago.

Bottom line: if privacy is that important to you, use a fake name or meaningless label. Otherwise, suit yourself!

Garland Fox
November 18th, 2011, 11:51 PM
ok thanks

stalkingwolf
November 20th, 2011, 05:59 PM
several years ago i received an email. The email address was almost the exact same as mine. The only difference was mine was lower case the one on the email was upper case. The address was my initials and surname.

As it turned out the addressee was a relative from another branch of my family. She had a son with the same name as my brother. As the email refered to health issues of that son it prompted several emails to my brother and between her , her son and I. One being exactly who are you?

My Brother maintains contact with them today.