PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] need to know few things before upgrading to 11.10 from 11.04

jsandhu
November 2nd, 2011, 08:37 PM
Hi,

I have just started using ubuntu 11.04, like a month back and I love it, I was a windows user before, now the reason why I love it so much is because I like my desktop with a minimal look and that's why I use clearlooks theme, and its brilliant!.

what I am trying to find out is if I upgrade to 11.10, can I still have clearlooks theme in it?

Coz I don't really like the unity theme, orange black and purple are not the colors I want to see on my desktop everyday.

also the logon screen I like the one in the 11.04, the simple logon, and I read in some review that 11.10 has a new logon as well, will I be able to swith to the simple one after the upgrade?

and last but not the least, How long can I keep using 11.04, what I mean is, I don't have to upgrade? do I?

23dornot23d
November 2nd, 2011, 09:14 PM
Staying as you are until 12.04 comes out - you will be stable and probably happy through XMAS ..... :)

There are no benefits for change at the moment ...... if your system is running well

You are only a month into it and you are enjoying it ....... please ...... stay that way for another 6 months.

The upgrade word is the thing ....... that pulls people in .......

Does you Network work

Does your Graphics card work as you like it to .....

Is you Desktop customized and looking good .......

__________________________________________________ __________

What would it be like if any or all of the above things did not work anymore .........

First look at this list ....... its only a indication of what can go wrong .... people only report problems
and rarely say about there success ......
FAILED UPGRADES THREAD (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1858475)

.... so take that into consideration ......

But time is on your side ......

11.04 ...... 12.04 LTS (PP)

11.04 with full updates is just as good if not better at this moment in time IMHO ......

some of the threads get hidden away but look in recurring discussions (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=302) ..... for some of the views
people have brought up after upgrading ....

Then make your decision ....

jsandhu
November 2nd, 2011, 09:25 PM
I just did sir, I am sticking with 11.04, I answered all the questions you asked to myself and the answer is yes, my desktop looks gorgeous!, my network is working great and my graphic card works exactly as I want it to, all in all my system is working real well and that's all I needed an expert advise.

Thank you very much for helping me decide. :)

cpsusie
November 2nd, 2011, 11:40 PM
I have 11.10 (kubuntu) version and have something a lot like clearlooks or cleanlooks installed on mine. It might not be called
that, but it looks nice. I hate the standard color scheme as well. I like cool colors like light blues and greys -- so I can't stand the default.

what I am trying to find out is if I upgrade to 11.10, can I still have clearlooks theme in it?

Also, I'd agree that you ought not upgrade if things are going great now and there isn't some feature you need. I used 10.10 for a while, tried 11.04 and hated it because I couldn't for the life of me get rid of the open-source nvidia drivers and use the far better proprietary ones and there were a few other bugs. When 11.10 came out, I gave it another try and am generally pleased but not sure it was worth all the bother especially since I'm not using the (in my opinion -- at least for a multi-display desktop environment) crappy unity interface.

So if it's not broken, about to stop getting support or lacking some feature you want, don't upgrade. -- But I'm almost positive you could get something looking like clearlooks so that shouldn't be the thing stopping you.

cpsusie
November 2nd, 2011, 11:50 PM
duplicate post deleted

jsandhu
November 3rd, 2011, 04:10 AM
actually before even installing Ubuntu, I downloaded and tried Kubuntu and Debian but for some reason I could not get my network to work on it and without the internet everything else hits sort of roadblock then I installed Ubuntu 11.04 and everything worked quite smoothly and you're right, nothing is broken so far and I actually really like my desktop atm, therefore I think I am not going to update right now.

but I realize I do have to update someday when the support for 11.04 ends which is not near future, good for me and it is comforting to know that I can have some sort of clearlooks theme on it, I just love the minimal look, If it is not too much to ask, can I see a screenshot of your desktop.

Thanks for your support.

btw, here's mine :)

dFlyer
November 3rd, 2011, 04:16 AM
I believe 11.04 should be supported for 18 to 24 months, so you should be good, for a while. Just do a google search to see how long it can be supported for, if you want to make sure.

jsandhu
November 3rd, 2011, 04:39 AM
I did, I found this page here: -

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

and it says end of life date October 2012

so it looks like it only has 11 months.

23dornot23d
November 3rd, 2011, 05:29 AM
A couple of things I can add to this ..... even when the support is over - the desktop software still works.

So as long as you install what you need you can carry on .... using it .....

I still have versions of 9.04 running ..... that was done 2009 April ..... now its 2011 November ....... it still works fine and is one of my most enjoyable ones ....

You also do not need to replace an existing install ...... you can simply run a new one alongside the older one and yet still access your data .....

I do this and run numerous desktops and OS's ...... each has a slightly different use for me ....

jsandhu
November 3rd, 2011, 05:51 AM
I was wondering what happens after the support is over, thanks for clearing that up, I don't normally dual boot, I did use to before but it somehow messed up my harddisc, so I stick to one OS at a time, and so far this is working sweet.

Thanks

23dornot23d
November 3rd, 2011, 05:57 AM
With my older install .... as far as I know ... it just means that the repositories for that version are no longer kept up to date ..... * maybe someone else on here may clarify this .....

The next release the 12.04 ..... and is LONG TERM SUPPORT >>> LTS lasts for 5 years from what I have picked up on here ......

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-12-04-LTS-Gets-5-Years-Support-229444.shtml

jsandhu
November 3rd, 2011, 08:01 AM
That's great news, maybe it will support clearlooks as well.