PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to add applets to Ubuntu 11.10 Panel?

donofrij
November 2nd, 2011, 04:02 PM
I recently upgraded from Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10, and actually like it! It displays the Unity Desktop. However, I cannot find a way to add an applet to the top Panel as I could in 11.04 using the gnome desktop. I know I can add applets to the 11.10 Launcher. However, that gets a little crowded, even though I can shrink the icon size using Compiz. Holding down Alt while right clicking the Panel does not work in 11.10.

Is there a way to add an applet to the top Panel in Ubuntu 11.10? Thanks.

Frogs Hair
November 2nd, 2011, 04:47 PM
Unity in 11.10 uses a different panel and the add to panel options that were available in classic Ubuntu on 11.04 are gone . Drag and drop to the panel is no longer supported in Gnome 3 .

The panel in 11.10 is white listed so , panel icons from an application that supports a panel icon will appearer . Someone may find an unofficial work around for the drag and drop issue , but I am not aware of any at the moment .

Mahelita
November 8th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I solved this problem by installing gnome ( sudo apt-get install gnome ), rebooting and choosing "GNOME Classic" from the drop down menu in the user login window.
But you will loose the Unity desktop you seem to like (I hate it).

mtetwa
November 15th, 2011, 12:07 PM
To add an app to the (left) panel: open the app/program (for example via 'dash'): you'll see it in the panel. Then right-click its icon in the panel and choose 'keep in launcher'. Done.

huwjenjinn
December 13th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I solved this problem by installing gnome ( sudo apt-get install gnome ), rebooting and choosing "GNOME Classic" from the drop down menu in the user login window.
But you will loose the Unity desktop you seem to like (I hate it).

What a strange thing to say. Appreciate you dislike Unity, and I can see why people do, but why question the veracity of the OP with respect to what they like?

It's not a very positive trait and I'm deeply into my positive traits today. Apologies to all the unfortunate electrons stimulated for my view.

nothingspecial
December 13th, 2011, 11:33 AM
And unless the OP would like this thread reopened at any point I think we'll leave this one here....