PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Downgrading from 11.10

ovlier
November 2nd, 2011, 01:59 PM
Hello there, and apologies in advance if this seems like an ignorant query, or if the answer to it exists somewhere else on these message boards.

I have a very simple problem that I don't how to solve.

I upgraded to 11.10 two weeks ago and now want to downgrade (if that's the right term to use) back to the previous version I was using (10.whatever it was). I just don't find the layout of the new upgrade that useful or user-friendly, or not as easy to navigate as that past version anyway.

Can anyone tell me briefly what I need to do to downgrade? I've tried booting with the kernel of the old version by pressing F1 after the BIOS screen shows when I turn on my computer, but all of the options I select boot up with 11.10.

Thanks in anticipation.
Oli

Mark Phelps
November 2nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
Sorry, but unlike in MS Windows, where you have the option to go back to a previous Windows version after an in-place upgrade, there is no such option in Ubuntu.

You have to reinstall from scratch.

You should save off any files you want to keep before reinstalling.

ovlier
November 3rd, 2011, 06:21 PM
Ok thanks Mark!

Oli

cbfarrand
November 8th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I also want to downgrade. I have been trying to get my printer, which was working fine before upgrade, installed (many suggestions from forums) with no luck. I am also not fond of the new desktop configuration etc. I need to get back to being productive and not a computer configurer.

I was running 11.04 before upgrade to 11.10 and all was well.

Where can I get the 11.04 (32bit) to re-install and what is the process (without using the update manager) to re-install.

PS, I have been using Ubuntu for several years, and spreading the word, and this is the first disappointment I have had.

Thanks

s9032g@comcast.net
November 8th, 2011, 03:22 PM
You can find it online and load the iso to a flash drive or cd/dvd. The instruction are also there. I like 11.10.

BillyBoa
November 8th, 2011, 03:43 PM
To downgrade and to go back, means use snapshots and checksums you have to wait up to the official use and introduction of BTFRS file system.

I am also not fond of the new desktop configuration etc.
In any case I don't understand why you should downgrade to 11.04 which is almost identical to 11.10 at least on the interface use.

cbfarrand
November 8th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Not being a Ubuntu / computer guy, I need ease of use. I need to be productive while using the computer, not having to make tweeks to get what I want.

The upgrade to 11.10 won't allow me to use my printer, which was working fine under 11.04. I have wasted over two weeks trying different work arounds to make it work. Although I appreciate the help, I need to move on.

The new desktop layout doesn't suit me, I'm not crazy about the left side pop out menu thingy. I find it much more cumbersome moving around from email to browser to spreadsheet etc. Maybe that is a product of my older PC? Maybe I'm just set in my ways but it isn't working for me.

This new upgrade (11.10) runs very slow on my computer compared to 11.04 and has frozen up several times already. Again, maybe my PC isn't new and shiny enough.

I was always impressed with the fact that Ubuntu was capable of running on older computers without forced hardware upgrade (MS) to get the functionality of the OS.

As I said, this is my first disappointment with Ububtu.

cbfarrand
November 8th, 2011, 05:23 PM
See, I told you I'm not a computer guy. I want to go back to 10.10.

Sorry for the confusion!

I'm such a stupid!