PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Custom application entry in Dash?

william_nbg
November 2nd, 2011, 01:39 PM
Is there no way to ad/edit custom application entries in Dash. I installed a program that uses a special start-up command which I can start in a terminal, but how do I make a menu entry for the app in Dash??

I tried the old menu editor from Gnome2, but the new entry doesn't show up in Dash.

Frogs Hair
November 2nd, 2011, 03:40 PM
If the application has an icon open the main menu .Locate the icon for the application , right select on the line , enter properties and add the command in the in the command dialog box .

If the application has no icon you may be able to add on from the main menu by selecting add new item . you can add an icon .png by selecting the box on the left and moving to the directory with the chosen icon .

william_nbg
November 2nd, 2011, 05:52 PM
I did, what you explained, and the app shows up in the menu editor, but it's not showing up in dash.

Frogs Hair
November 2nd, 2011, 06:08 PM
I don't know why that is so and may have dig a little deeper . If the icon appears on the panel when the application is open right click and select keep in launcher . Test it to find out if the application opens when the icon is used .

Frogs Hair
November 2nd, 2011, 06:21 PM
This link may be helpful . http://blog.mattwoodward.com/how-to-create-a-custom-launcher-in-unity-on-u

william_nbg
November 2nd, 2011, 09:10 PM
Again, thanks for your help Mr. Frog.

I read that article, when I went to install the recommended app "alacarte" it is already installed, when I search in dash for the app, the menu editor comes up - same app.

I'll call it up from the terminal for now and hope something comes up in the near future.

Although, I like the overall look and feel of Unity; it's not very flexible! Yet ...