PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 11.10 grub problem.

Gersie
November 2nd, 2011, 01:15 AM
After upgrade attempt to Ubuntu 11.10, my laptop Compaq 615 died (previously dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7). After reboot, screen is following:

error: incompatible license.
grub rescue>

I tried to load: Ubuntu 11.10 boot disc, to repair grub ... nothing work (no Ubuntu, no Windows).
Will you be able to help, please?

I've got the same laptop. Was also running Kubuntu 11.04, just also upgraded to Kubuntu 11.10. I got a "starting ana(c)hronistic cron stopping a(c)hronistic cron error. Which made my Kubuntu hang.

A reinstall of Ubuntu 11.10 and that solved the problem. Only thing now is, it takes long to boot and when I get the "Grub" screen then I must choose "Previous Linux versions" option and then choose the top option.

At least its working now which is very important, but I'd love for it to boot cleaner.

PS! I'm a beginner

coffeecat
November 2nd, 2011, 10:32 AM
@Gersie, the thread you added your post to was not relevant to your problem. Please start your own threads if you need help. I've moved this off into its own thread and given it what I hope is an appropriate title.

Gersie
November 2nd, 2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks Coffeecat, will keep it in mind for the future.

Mark Phelps
November 2nd, 2011, 07:12 PM
Don't know about a boot cleaner, but if you install Grub Customizer, it will provide you the option of selecting which boot stanza to be the default. At least that way, you won't have to manually select it each time.

Instructions for installing Grub Customizer:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1664134