PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu 11.10 problems

mattcallaghan
November 2nd, 2011, 09:18 AM
hey guys, i today installed ubuntu 11.10 to my acer travelmate2300, it was working fine for a wile but now firefox, software center, and update manager will not open at all, also not a huge problem but if any1 can point out how to enable the wifi in the laptop thatd be cool, tho i have a usb wifi that works with it atm, so i know this is a huge rant but yeah really need the help, thanks

matt

mattcallaghan
November 2nd, 2011, 09:28 AM
hey guys, i today installed ubuntu 11.10 to my acer travelmate2300, it was working fine for a wile but now firefox, software center, and update manager will not open at all, also not a huge problem but if any1 can point out how to enable the wifi in the laptop thatd be cool, tho i have a usb wifi that works with it atm, so i know this is a huge rant but yeah really need the help, thanks

matt

Immolatus
November 2nd, 2011, 02:49 PM
Are there any programs that will open and run normally? Check to make sure your wifi switch is in the on position? Also might be a "keyring manager" problem. I know on my lappy install keyring manager requires a password for connection on my home network (odd I think).

Redblade20XX
November 2nd, 2011, 04:36 PM
For your wireless card problem, see if this page helps: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo

What are the specs of your computer?

- Red

coffeecat
November 2nd, 2011, 07:10 PM
@mattcallaghan, I've merged your two threads. Please do not post duplicates - this dilutes community effort.

mattcallaghan
November 3rd, 2011, 01:55 AM
thanks coffecat i wasnt sure where my question best belonged, @red http://gdgt.com/acer/travelmate/2300/specs/ also i reinstalled 3 more times and 3rd time lucky the programs work, only problem now is the internal wifi card that isnt really a problem as i have a usb wifi but will search the link posted above and post what i find

regards, matt

mattcallaghan
November 3rd, 2011, 03:18 AM
ok im trying to understand all this stuff on the link posted and it seams extreamly complicated, can some1 post a step by step simplified version, eg if it were windows ud say start>run> type "cmd" > and so on, cause i really am trying to follow the instructions there but it seams to be going right over my head

regards, matt

mattcallaghan
November 3rd, 2011, 03:48 AM
also as for turning on the router thats a slight problem its an in and out button at the frount when driver is installed in xp the only way to know if its on or off is the light comes on, b4 driver installed u see nothing and reinstalling windows on this pc is not an option

matt