PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] shutdown - hardware or software issue?

rebeltaz
November 2nd, 2011, 06:58 AM
I have an eMachines e520 laptop runing Ubuntu 10.04 that I have had for several years. I've never had any real problems with this until recently. Twice, while working with video files, my laptop has stopped mid-job and shutdown. Not a graceful shutdown, but a somebody-removed-the-power type shutdown.

One time was while using the program k9copy to extract the video from a DVD. The second time was while using Avidemux to convert a video file from one format to another. I have used both programs in the past with no trouble.

I thought it was a heat issue, so I installed the Computer Temperature Monitor app and my system runs at a consistent 79 degrees Celsius. I don;t know if that is too hot not, but I do know that it doesn't raise above that when it shuts down.

I also ran memtest86 for a complete day with the system ever finding any errors.

Normal usage of the computer has never resulted in a shutdown. It's only when I attempt to use those programs - and not always then, either. Are there any issues with either Ubuntu or these programs that could cause this or does it sound like a hardware issue? I'm afraid it sounds hardware related and, as it is extremely intermittent, difficult to diagnose.

Redblade20XX
November 2nd, 2011, 04:26 PM
Hmm... seems like a heat problem. 80 degrees for a desktop? :confused:

Can you install this package for sensors?

sudo apt-get install acpi
sudo apt-get install lm-sensors

And then run and post the outputs?

acpi -V
sensors

Also check if the vents to the computer are clogged and if you can open it, see if you cpu fan isn't clogged also?

- Red

rebeltaz
November 2nd, 2011, 05:04 PM
Actually, this is a laptop...

I already have those packages installed. Here are the results:

acpitz-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +79.0C (crit = +110.0C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +77.0C (high = +100.0C, crit = +100.0C)

You know... in all my years of computer repair, I have never really paid attention to what temperature the CPUs actually run at. I guess 75 degrees Celsius sitting at an idle is too hot.

I took the laptop apart and did indeed find that the cooling fins were totally blocked by dust. After blowing that out, I went ahead and replaced the heatsink compound on the CPU with Arctic Silver since I was already in there and had some on hand.

After I put it back together, I was amazed to see that the temperature never goes above 35 or 40 degrees just sitting there and when I stressed it by re-encoding a video file (which would have shut it down before), it never went above 50 degrees!

Needless to say, I am one happy camper now!