PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Usb problems in 10.04

wallytheaviator
November 2nd, 2011, 05:57 AM
Hey everyone,

I have tried to figure this one out for the last few hours.

I built a custom pc for a friend using

300W Power supply
Gigabyte mini atx motherboard
2 4gb gskill ram ddr3
Amd phenom II x4 2.8
Dvdrw drive, card reader, 500gb hd

The problem is that the keyboard and mouse will at random freeze up and not respond or send false signals from the keyboard. Here is the interesting part. She has a new dynex keyboar and mouse combo. The one i used to configure bios and to install and test the system was an older model dynex keyboard and a microsoft mouse. It ran great for 5 hours with not a single problem.

I ran an update and also brought over my old dynex keyboard but now it is doing the same thing.

Could this be bad usb ports on the motherboard? Or will i need to do a reinstall of the os? I highly doubt both keyboard and mouse could be defective, and i think the power supply is big enough to handle everything.

Sorry to trouble you all with this.

I did however have a ps2 keyboar which i pligged in to test for a few minutes and it worked. Could that have caused it to expect a ps2 setup for the main input?

How would i be able to trouble shoot this problem?

Also its the 64bit os.

Thanks
Walter

typhoon_tip
November 2nd, 2011, 06:05 AM
Try to start the system again from the liveCD (try Ubuntu, same version, same bitssssss), with the bad keyboard/mouse connected, and see if you get the same troubles or not. If yes, it is very likely BIOS/HW issue.

wallytheaviator
November 3rd, 2011, 04:58 AM
Update

I ran the ubuntu 10.04 installation cd and still it froze up.

I then tried ubuntu 11.10 and installed the upgrade for it. It ran for about 8 hours before the mouse froze up again.

I tried another mouse and still had the same result. Bios checked out. So i am assuming a semi defective motherboard. Is that even possible for it to boot properly but have intermittent usb ports?

Also the data transfer rate is very slow compared to another system running sata3 hd and dvdrw drive.

Thanks for the help

wallytheaviator
November 4th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Try to start the system again from the liveCD (try Ubuntu, same version, same bitssssss), with the bad keyboard/mouse connected, and see if you get the same troubles or not. If yes, it is very likely BIOS/HW issue.

Just thought of this

Is it possible to have an error with it being an nvidia chipset?

I know ati has never given me problems. I dont know how nvidia does for everyone else.

wallytheaviator
November 6th, 2011, 11:53 PM
Update...

So swapping the usb mouse with another ( wireless) still did not fix the problem, it is not the motherboard, it is not the mouse, and its a fresh install again, its updated.

I dont know much else about what it could be that is causing the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

pavi_elex
November 8th, 2011, 08:12 AM
root@user-desktop:~# sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf& add following code into file & save it.

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
EndSectionor

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg