PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] unmanaged network device not properly loaded

bkleine
November 2nd, 2011, 04:37 AM
Hi,

I have a ethernet Intel e100 NIC which has worked for years and still runs well. In our home LAN we have fixed internet adresses. In debian and ubuntu I had installed this card without any problems once the correct entries were fixed in /etc/network/interface:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.201
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.199
dns-nameservers 192.168.1.199

During booting in Ubuntu 11.10 this card is not loaded due to an error in the installation script: the directory /run/network is not created.

For this reason I can boot and after the desktop is ready I can run the following:

as admin:
ifdown eth0
mkdir /run/network
ifup eth0

after that the card works e.g. to reach this forum. It is obvious that the script which wants to start the card does not check for the existence of the directory and stops executing. It should check whether the dir exists and if not create it!!!

Alternatively, I would like to get help to get this card managed by the network manager. I never tried that.

Greeting from the Black Forest

Bernhard

cbowman57
November 2nd, 2011, 04:56 AM
Edit /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf change managed=false to managed=true

bkleine
November 3rd, 2011, 06:58 AM
thanks for your tip, that helped with managing. However the real problem, the lack of directory generation, has not been settled.

ANY HELP WELCOME!

Bernhard