PDA

View Full Version : [REVOTE] Unity has got the looks down. It just needs customization... [REVOTE]

linuxuser12345
November 2nd, 2011, 01:37 AM
There has recently been a big discussion regarding customization options in the latest Ubuntu versions by default, and plans to really hit Unity flaws hard before the next release are being shown. I am announcing a REVOTE for my last topic from here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1871847) with extra answer options so the peoples' voices are heard more correctly, loud and clear, for the whole Ubuntu community to hear.

Please re-vote in the poll above.

dniMretsaM
November 2nd, 2011, 02:10 AM
I believe it should be more customizable. But if it isn't, it in no way, shape, or form violates free software's principles. That's just ridiculous!

Perfect Storm
November 2nd, 2011, 02:17 AM
I believe it should be more customizable. But if it isn't, it in no way, shape, or form violates free software's principles. That's just ridiculous!

+1

Then there's a lot of stuff that violates free software's principles in Linux, actual most. Because I can't bend or shape everything to my needs.

--- Well, you can if you're programmer ;)

dniMretsaM
November 2nd, 2011, 02:26 AM
+1

Then there's a lot of stuff that violates free software's principles in Linux, actual most. Because I can't bend or shape everything to my needs.

--- Well, you can if you're programmer ;)

Like non-free firmware blobs. And Linux itself is (mostly) open source, not necessarily free.

vasa1
November 2nd, 2011, 03:55 AM
I'm not sure I like the options. They have, in my opinion, commentary built-in.

Further, as pointed out elsewhere (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/ubuntu-desktop-designers-clarify-on-configurability/), the devs have made it clear @ UDS that customization is just a matter of time and is dependent on the availability of "helping hands".

Starlight
November 2nd, 2011, 08:06 AM
It would be nice if it was more customizable, but first they should improve some of its already existing features. Unity is really nice in some ways, but its workspace handling is absolutely horrible. The workspace switcher just seems like another app that you launch from the sidebar, it doesn't seem integrated into the desktop at all. Gnome Shell did it right, and I think the people who make Unity should use it as an inspiration. Unless they think of another good way to handle workspaces, of course.

LowSky
November 2nd, 2011, 09:08 AM
I chose I don't care. The reason for that choice was your poll was confusing and that option was the only sentence that made sense (to me).

Can we stop talking about Unity. Actually just had a funny thought; Unity is not doing so much uniting.

stinkeye
November 2nd, 2011, 10:15 AM
Mark Shuttleworth has stated that Unity will be more customizable in further releases.
Relax and give em a break.
+1 for I don't care.

sffvba[e0rt
November 2nd, 2011, 10:35 AM
Mark Shuttleworth has stated that Unity will be more customizable in further releases.

This :) (Which is very welcome news :D)

jackdale
November 2nd, 2011, 01:10 PM
This :) (Which is very welcome news :D)

Just don't expect a huge amount of this to come in 12.04 as this is mainly about STABILITY. (LTS means Long-Term Support, but we all know that's code for Long-Term STABLE). The cool thing about Ubuntu is that the 6month release cycle is actually a neat illusion to formalise the development process. It also gives us a reasonably stable "cutting-edge" option if we don't want to wait 2 years between releases.

With the advent of gnome 3 and Unity diverging from gnome-shell, this process will be highlighted even more. It's not just new features since 10.04, it's a whole new way to interact with the GUI.

The exciting stuff will start to trickle through in 12.10, but the better stuff (I hope) will come in 13.04. This is important, because if they get a very good base with 12.04 and they build on that innovation, by the time 14.04 comes along, Ubuntu will be in a much better position to compete with Windows and Mac. I think they were hoping for this in 12.04, but I don't see that this will be groundbreaking enough.

Also, if you've been looking at ubuntu.com for the past couple of months, they've really stepped up their marketing towards business adoption of Ubuntu (which frankly we should be encouraging, because that is where the regular computer users who are not naturally curious will get to experience Linux for the first time). This means that the GUI has to be simple and intuitive enough so that the Windows/Mac zombies that use them will be able to avoid getting lost. Stability here is the key. If they start getting Windows ME-style instability and bugs, they will only think "well, I can see why this OS is free". If it is to stand up to scrutiny, Ubuntu needs to be Solid, Simple and Secure.

Now, my pontificating aside, GIVE ME THE CUSTOMISATION FEATURES NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drawkcab
November 3rd, 2011, 07:16 AM
Unity's dash makes absolutely no sense to me. I voted for more customization, not on principle, but because I want to radically alter the dash every time I use unity.

On the other hand, I could have voted for not caring. Ultimately Gnome Shell makes a lot more sense to me and, as both desktops mature, I think Gnome shell looks more promising in terms of customization.

Of course, by 12.04, I might shove them both if XFCE 4.10 looks good. XFCE 4.8 is already well on its way toward excellence.
In the meantime, I've basically given up on unity.

viperdvman
November 3rd, 2011, 07:45 AM
Relax and give em a break.

I like this news too. But I voted "Yes, but doesn't conflict with free/open-source software principles". Stability is the top priority concerning Unity for 12.04, but I want Unity to be more customizable, similar to what we can do with GNOME 2.x, KDE Plasma, Xfce, etc. I want to be able to alter it, whether through themes, changing the position/behavior/look of the launcher, adding/removing stuff from the panel, etc. I want to be able to give it the Windows look, the Mac OS X look, the smartphone look, or a completely unique look... if I so desire.

The ability to customize Unity out-of-the-box is what'll finally help me to let go of GNOME 2.x in favor of Unity. (though I do like KDE Plasma quite a bit too). I just wish GNOME Shell could be that way too (which it could in the future)

Docaltmed
November 3rd, 2011, 12:14 PM
Response #6 reads:

No. The same as #6 AND it DOESN'T make Ubuntu just as bad as the proprietary OSes.

Wut?

christophevr
November 3rd, 2011, 02:55 PM
I noticed that A lot off changes just are due to the new gnome3.

One thing is true the new gnome3 desktop is very different. The gnome3 does well provide all possible customizations needed. Ok there are not many basic themes yet and so. All needed customziation tools are avbl.

First You need to learn working with gnome3.

Ubuntu made now the integration with unity shell instead of the gnome shell.
unfortunately the unity is far from complete. It's in basic form ready to compete with windows like system's in order to obtain A Golden Raspberry(razzie) Award.

Yes it's all easy to say things from side line.

Unity can be good for users who like it simple.

If You now use ubuntu 11.10 with the gnome-shell, train a bit and learn how it's working, ubuntu 11.10 is not that bad at all.

Here even more interesting, Using the gnome-shell, but also starting the unity 2d launcher. Woow it becomes very useful.

Personally I think If ubuntu would start thinking that direction, They will start To be again one of the Top competitors this time for A

Real Golden Best Award.

3Miro
November 3rd, 2011, 03:07 PM
Everybody who thinks lack of customizations violates the freedom principle, doesn't understand the freedom principles. Nowhere does it say that software developers have to listen to anyone other than themselves. The only requirement is for them to provide the source code so that if you want you can either change the software yourself or hire someone to change it for you.

Basically if you don't like Unity, either don't use it or fix it yourself. You have all the freedom to do that.

zekopeko
November 3rd, 2011, 05:16 PM
Everybody who thinks lack of customizations violates the freedom principle, doesn't understand the freedom principles. Nowhere does it say that software developers have to listen to anyone other than themselves. The only requirement is for them to provide the source code so that if you want you can either change the software yourself or hire someone to change it for you.

Basically if you don't like Unity, either don't use it or fix it yourself. You have all the freedom to do that.

I'm always amazed how many people think this.

linuxuser12345
November 3rd, 2011, 08:09 PM
Response #6 reads:

Wut?

I just noticed that! :( I mean #5

linuxuser12345
November 5th, 2011, 02:51 PM
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/28840/image/1/ (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/28840/)

BillyBoa
November 7th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Maybe the customization has to go further and from the beginning we should choose between Unity and a more traditional view. At least to have the opportunity to move the launcher to the bottom.