PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lost Power Mid Upgrade

burgerearl
November 1st, 2011, 11:50 PM
So after a year or so away from Ubuntu, I decided to spend some time getting my install up to date and using it again.

I started by updating my existing install (10.04 LTS). All but about 5 packages were available and updated with no problems.

I then set about upgrading to 10.10. I started this in the morning and left for work, erroneously unconcerned about my cat, who has previously shown a propensity to play with cords...

I came home to a laptop with a dead battery and removed power cable. No idea how far the install progressed before losing power.

Attempting to boot my Ubuntu install gets all the way to gnome where I get an error message saying something to the effect of "Your gnome power manager settings are not configured correctly. Please contact your system administrator."

So, community system administrator, what should I do? Although I'd prefer the to keep the little bit of customizing I've done, I can afford to lose anything and everything on my Ubuntu partition. Should I just download the newest install CD image and start from scratch or is there a relatively easy way to salvage what I have?

Thanks!