PDA

View Full Version : Life Has Changed

Jaybyrrd
November 1st, 2011, 10:41 PM
So a friend of mine said he was so hungry that he couldn't wait to go grub on some food.

I had to think about the word grub for a second to understand what he was saying. Life has changed for me in these couple of weeks. How has Ubuntu changed you?

Linuxratty
November 1st, 2011, 10:47 PM
. How has Ubuntu changed you?

it has given me peace of mind when I'm on line and it's stable as a rock...I remember i could just breathe in the direction of Windows and it would crash.

dniMretsaM
November 2nd, 2011, 02:12 AM
It has taught me to respect the term "hacker" for what it really means.

IWantFroyo
November 2nd, 2011, 02:15 AM
It pretty much opened me up to the whole world of computers. I didn't understand computers at all until I tried Ubuntu, I was intrigued, and I kept learning.

Ubuntu even affected my career decisions. I was planning on becoming a mathematician when I finished my education, but now I'm planning to be a developer.

LowSky
November 2nd, 2011, 02:47 AM
Ubuntu didn't change me. All it did was allow me to use my computer in the way I wished. Now I run Arch Linux because Ubuntu didn't allow me to run my computer the way I wished, for instance updates that are released quickly and not 6 months from now.

mamamia88
November 2nd, 2011, 02:51 AM
something similar happened to me in finance class the other day. one of the formulas included rm -rf and all i could think about is probably not a good idea to type that into a terminal.

Jaybyrrd
November 2nd, 2011, 04:13 AM
I think a major deal for me is the fact that, while I am by no means proficient yet, I am learning new things all the time at a high rate. I bet everyone experiences that at some point.

Tinker Tantrum
November 2nd, 2011, 07:36 PM
It taught me that every keystroke is sacred, and to respect the Carriage Return button.

Gremlinzzz
November 2nd, 2011, 07:42 PM
Taught me what a infraction is:popcorn:
and if i keep getting em its going to teach me what burnt beans is.

BlinkinCat
November 2nd, 2011, 07:46 PM
I think the community spirit within Ubuntu is something you wouldn't get in other OS's within a million years - :P

thenixedreport
November 2nd, 2011, 09:11 PM
I had experimented with various distros off and on only to go back to Windows. I had played with SuSE and was delighted with the stability until a new release was for sale. It seemed like things would get better only for others to regress. Mandrake had improved quite a bit, so I gave it a whirl. Eventually some package I would try to install would break the system. I also tried Red Hat 9 and then Fedora. I liked Fedora so much that I decided to install a newer release on a Compaq notebook that I had bought. I discovered that sound didn't work at all. Saddened by this, I gave up for a while and just stuck with Windows.

It was during the fall in 2005 that I tried Ubuntu. I believe it was Hoary Hedgehog that I tried to install, and much to my surprise, everything except for 3D worked (FGLRX didn't support certain Radeon IGP chips at the time). It was at that moment that I realized a threshold had been reached. Microsoft was no longer going to be able to control the market when it came to personal computing. It was this distribution that made me think, "Maybe it can happen!" I've since dabbled in other distros and even played with OpenSolaris and PC-BSD. For some reason, I kept finding myself coming back to Ubuntu. While Unity and other changes have brought about controversy, I still remember that moment when I gave it a try just for heck of it and being surprised at how well it worked as a system. To this day, I have the latest release (11.10) installed on my two desktops and one of my portables. The other portable currently has Xubuntu 11.10 on it, though I may just switch it to regular Ubuntu, because I don't mind Unity at all.

Jaybyrrd
November 3rd, 2011, 02:39 PM
Needless to say, I think anyone who gives Linux, and in particular a distribution of Ubuntu a chance and takes the time to learn how it works ends up never going back (excluding dual boots, which if I dual booted it would be for compatibility's sake for certain programs, but otherwise I would still use Ubuntu).