PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_mobile] Help!

Firewhirrrl
November 1st, 2011, 10:24 PM
Hello all.

I have geek friends who have tried forever to get me to switch to Linux. Well, here I am, except it's not right.

In short:

I had spare computer, gifted to young friend with little/no computer experience.
( hp notebook 210-1091)
And he promptly downloaded music ( files share) and got blue screen of death ( or something)

Instead of coming back to Me, he gives computer to brother-in-law, 100 miles away who declares harddrive dead and replaces it, formatting and installing Ubuntu.
Fine! Turns out it uses Python, which I am a useless programmer in!! Woo hoo!

Ok, so drivers got... Deleted or corrupted and friend can't get online, and no bluetooth driver...

Blah blah.
I decided he should go back to windows 7, comparability with those hardware And since he can not use a computer very well.

So after some horrible anguish ( for recovery disk: formatted USB to install, can't, need instillation cd, which you can't get!)

So I go to put the old drive back in... Seems it was never switched out.

Ok. So here I am. Dead in the water. I am missing a power cord to the external cd drive, so I am stuck with USB instillation ( and just to vent, old jump was barrowed and never returned, and the "spare" was 2 mb short Of holding the file, so got new jump, yeah.... Wouldn't format. Now I got a workable jump and it's the wrong cd!!)

Ok, so what I have now is:
USB
Product key for windows 7 starter
Recovery disk for windows 7 starter
And not much time.

Anybody?
I would love to play with Linux, but this is not my "time". And this is not a spare computer, so if I accidentally do something wrong, I would be in serious " professional trouble".

Specific questions:
1. How do I determine if windows is still installed?
2. How do I get what I have to run windows?

LowSky
November 2nd, 2011, 07:04 AM
Ubuntu as with all Linux is programmed in C. Many of the applications use Python but not exclusively.

1. if it boots to a grub scren and windows is an option it is still there. if not, it isn't.
2. find a optical drive that works, or a way to put the windows disk onto the usb, which is very easy if you have a working drive.
3.???
4. Profit!

Sef
November 2nd, 2011, 08:36 AM
I would love to play with Linux, but this is not my "time". And this is not a spare computer, so if I accidentally do something wrong, I would be in serious " professional trouble".

I would clone your current operating system with Clonezilla (http://clonezilla.org). That way if you mess something up, you can simply reinstall your original os.