PDA

View Full Version : Ads supported software - what do you think?

s1300045
November 1st, 2011, 06:20 PM
I am writing something (I want to keep the details a secret before it's finished :P), and I come across an interesting question on how revenue will be generated.

Basically, there is a feature that finds stuff for the user (e.g. books or cloths), and clicking on it will redirect user to the item on Amazon, eBay, etc. A percentage of the sales generated through the redirection will contribute, well, to my pocket.

Pure evil, I know.

The thing is, this piece of software will be opensource, and I will make it clear that I am making money off the redirection. I will also offer an option to opt out, but the thing will be on by default. I am really curious what most people think of this kind of "advertising" business model, especially Amazon is doing it with the cheaper version of kindle, and hell, the entire kindle fire concept is a channel for Amazon to market/sell stuff.

So, what do you think?

aysiu
November 1st, 2011, 07:39 PM
I don't think that business model will be sustainable. If clicking redirects a user, the user will be annoyed. And if your software is useful and enough users are annoyed, they'll take your open source software and fork it to a version that doesn't redirect. There goes your revenue.

It'd be much better to have an ad-supported website where people go to download the software and then also have a huge donate button.

Linuxratty
November 1st, 2011, 10:12 PM
I don't think that business model will be sustainable. If clicking redirects a user, the user will be annoyed.

I agree. I was annoyed just reading your description!
Ads are everywhere. If ad makers could beam them directly into our brains while we sleep,they would. I would never accept this option..And opt out should be mandatory..If people want to opt in,they can..Of course,we both know no one will opt in to such a thing.

beew
November 1st, 2011, 10:16 PM
Do you like watching ad supported TV?

haqking
November 1st, 2011, 10:48 PM
Dont add to all the ad's out there ;-)

Linuxratty
November 1st, 2011, 10:55 PM
Do you like watching ad supported TV?

No.

I don' have a tv...I got sick of less and less program and more and more @!(*#&$^%#@ ads...And the programs themselves were such crap...I gave my tv away years ago.

And yeah,I use Ad Block and flash block too which makes me an ebbil freeloader. and I don't want to hear the same old tired arguments defending ads, but I know I will, so go ahead and get it out of your system.
Will it change me?
Nope.

Mezzoforte
November 1st, 2011, 11:10 PM
Well, if the intended audience is trying to find stuff to buy online it makes sense that they are presented with links to places where they can buy them. If the "find stuff feature" is not a main part of your software, then of course it'll be just like any other advertising. That is, nobody likes but most of us put up with it. The rest of your software has to be sufficiently amazing to make up for the advertising though.

Gremlinzzz
November 2nd, 2011, 04:39 AM
No not a good idea:popcorn: