PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Update Manager Logs?

ProntoAnthony
November 1st, 2011, 05:51 PM
Things are so good with my system now that I've worked through installing fixes (found on this site) to the most obvious bugs encountered with the newest release, 11,10. I'm even beginning to remember its code name, Oneiric Orcelot. So now I want to be sure nothing changes that, maybe even a little bit of paranoia.

This morning I received an innocuous message about some updates from Update Manager. I really love the way patches and fixes as well as new releases are all sent to me via Update Manager so I'm sure my system is kept up-to-date with the latest and greatest software. While I installed the updates, it got me to thinking. What would happen if somehow a erroneous update were to be sent and somehow "broke" my system?

Since I burned a 11.10 CD I'm covered from suddenly being sent completely out of commission if a "bad" patch were to send my system into a tail-spin, and the rational part of me knows there must be safeguards in place for preventing community-wide havoc, yet I still am curious to see what changes were contained in the update that was just sent out.

Is there any 'release note', log, or record of what a particular update changed?

wolfen69
November 1st, 2011, 06:29 PM
In the update manager, just click the details arrow, and then select any update to see the list of changes.

ProntoAnthony
November 1st, 2011, 06:42 PM
You're right, but that only partially answers my question. It does show a sometimes cryptic description, but only prior to applying the update. Most of the time I'm going to just blindly accept the change. It is only after an update is made and I notice some unforeseen outcome of accepting the change that I'm going to want to go back and review what was changed.

How can I see what was changed by the last update after the fact?