PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Upgrade

TheRacerX
November 1st, 2011, 03:31 PM
a few days ago i tried upgrading to 11.04 from 10.10, everything started out great then about 85% through the install of the new packages the upgrade failed, i tried a partial upgrade and that didn't do anything, im afraid to try to install using a CD and have it do the same thing, cause that would really damage my computer. If anyone has any idea what happened or could point me in a direction that could help id be greatful.

2F4U
November 1st, 2011, 03:54 PM
Any information on why it failed, e.g. log files or error message printed on the screen?

TheRacerX
November 1st, 2011, 04:11 PM
nothing it just said upgrade failure and then the update manager crashed so i have no logs of what actually happened

mörgæs
November 1st, 2011, 05:40 PM
A crash during upgrade makes a mess in Ubuntu, but it does not harm the computer itself.

TheRacerX
November 1st, 2011, 05:46 PM
would installing straight from a CD be more ideal? All I know is my computer doesn't have the Graphics Power for Unity but I've been told that's not a big deal.

dino99
November 1st, 2011, 05:57 PM
its faster and cleaner to make a fresh install:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10161428&postcount=2

you can install gnome-session-fallback to get a gnome2 like desktop instead of unity if you dont have the required graphic card/chipset to run it. If you remove ubuntu-desktop, you then can remove compiz*/unity* packages too (using synaptic).

TheRacerX
November 1st, 2011, 06:03 PM
i know my buddy had 11.04 running on his computer (which is the same as mine)running just the Gnome 3 Shell not the Unity part, thats why i was curious. My computer uses the Onboard Intel graphics of the old Pentium 4 which is 32MB but i have the AGP set to 256MB and the video Buffering set to maximum and it runs Full animations on Ubuntu 10.10 without a single lag or glitch. My resolution is also set to 1920x1080

mörgæs
November 1st, 2011, 11:35 PM
If Ubuntu is too heavy, you could try Xubuntu.