PDA

View Full Version : New to programming in Ubuntu

DisPro
November 1st, 2011, 08:47 AM
Hey guys. I'm new to programming to Ubuntu. As you can tell from the title.
Well I'm a beginner mainly anyway only using Python, and Visual Basic in windows along with dabbling in C# for a very short period of time.

I was wondering what IDE you would recommend for C++

nvteighen
November 1st, 2011, 09:58 AM
Something's not clear to me from your post. Did you start with Python? Are you still a Python beginner?

(Before someone starts with the usual "No, learn X as first language", please read the rest of the post, because I'm not going that path here)

IMHO, it's quite counterproductive to jump from language to language. I don't care which one it is and I don't care if it's your first, second or millionth programming language: if you're learning some programming language, dedicate time to it, learn its advantages, its disadvantages and use it a lot, in order to get a feeling of what it does. Obviously, the more experience you have the less time you'll require to understand mainstream languages.

Now, onto IDEs. For a beginner, IMO, IDEs are more a burden than a helpful tool. IDEs are quite good (not a must, though) for people that have huge projects in languages like Java or C++, full with huge classes, complex interactions, hundreds of different polymorphic methods, etc. Such people may need something that helps organizing their code. On a contrary, for a newbie, the hassle of configuring an IDE, learning its quirks at the same time he's learning the quirks of programming, etc. is a waste of time.

A text editor should help you better at this stage. If you come from the "Windows world", don't think of something as primitive as Notepad... GNU/Linux (some actually were implemented for UNIX) text editors are awesome :D For instance, GNOME's default one (gEdit) is quite good if you activate its programming plugins. Geany is a bit more advanced (more "IDE-ish"). Then, there the two classic ones: vim and emacs, but those do require some time to learn, because they're truly powerful.

abohsin
November 1st, 2011, 10:04 AM
nvteighen, totally agree with you.

Lars Noodén
November 1st, 2011, 10:42 AM
A text editor should help you better at this stage.

Start with geany (http://www.geany.org/) or kate (http://kate-editor.org/about-kate/). If you'd like to play with writing programs with graphical interfaces, then QtCreator (http://qt.nokia.com/products/developer-tools/) is one IDE to look at.

11jmb
November 1st, 2011, 02:17 PM
I generally try to steer beginners away from IDEs. Simplicity is key when learning, and IDEs have a lot of great advanced tools, but those tend to get in the way as you start. I think gedit is a great beginner's text editor because of its simplicity. If you are getting good at programming and want to check out emacs or vim, that would be a great next step.

If you are deadset on an IDE, I say geany because of its simplicity

DarkAmbient
November 1st, 2011, 02:47 PM
Welcome to the UF DisPro. :)

I'll +1 simplicity and gedit.