PDA

View Full Version : Moving from CentOS 6 to Ubuntu, hello world

webservervideos
November 1st, 2011, 06:36 AM
I have been a user of centos since 2007. I recently tried to go with the new version, 6, however redhat is purposely trying to destroy the clones....begun the clone wars have.

Since it is a new computer, I am seriously considering going ubuntu server for my websites, both as the virtual host in a KVM and as guest OSes on that host.

I appreciate the centos team and what they do, but redhat really is at war with the clones now, not a good place for my server to be.

Redhat, if I was to go by their pricing, would cost me 2,000 a year because I have 2 sockets and will be hosting more than 4 guests. All are family sites and only one is slightly commercial.
Oh, and to get the full virtualization package that is about 4,000 for the year too...so 6,000 for one server for one year...

insanity. And that 6,000 includes 48 hour email support only..lol

So, hear I am.

Not sure which forum category is just a general forum, so I went here first.

I was in the middle of doing videos highlighting the build of my server and centos6 and finally realized the possible futility of that. Tonight I am downloading and going to try to make the move.

Just wanted to say Hi.

I will be posting a lot and making videos of the install process.

I do not want to add a url as they might interpret this as spam, and right now no ubuntu stuff is up there. On youtube you can just look for my channel webservervideos. I have one more to post with the redhat/centos6 install and will leave them up there. The next video will be the ubuntu install.

now to find good books on ubuntu server.....

Perfect Storm
November 1st, 2011, 06:54 AM
Welcome webservervideos

This may be something you're looking for: http://www.amazon.com/Official-Ubuntu-Server-Book-2nd/dp/0137081332/ref=pd_sim_b_1/183-3415596-6590549

Primefalcon
November 1st, 2011, 07:12 AM
I'd say go Ubuntu Server LTS and you'd have a pretty solid server!

Great hing about Ubuntu if you later decide you want support, you don't change to change to a non-clone to get it or vice versa unlike CentOS and RHEL.

webservervideos
November 1st, 2011, 07:17 AM
I went to downloads, picked the server button, but was presented with the same options as home buttons..

so, one server download is just an up to date version, but is not really supported for any long term, it is just a 'new version' while the LTS is the only one supported that I can download.

Support meaning it will be updated for security and stuff relating to stability?

alphacrucis2
November 1st, 2011, 09:33 AM
Ubuntu release LTS versions every two years and up till now are supported for three years (bug and security fixes). For the one currently in dev (v 12.04 = Precise Pangolin) I believe they are changing that model out to five years. The current LTS 10.4 would probably be the best option for a server and perhaps upgrade to 12.04 a month or so after release next April.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/server/download

Select LTS version

Metallion
November 1st, 2011, 09:38 AM
Ubuntu release LTS versions every two years and up till now are supported for three years (bug and security fixes). For the one currently in dev (v 12.04 = Precise Pangolin) I believe they are changing that model out to five years. The current LTS 10.4 would probably be the best option for a server and perhaps upgrade to 12.04 a month or so after release next April.

Actually the LTS for server is already supported for 5 years. Desktop version is 3 years as you say.

alphacrucis2
November 1st, 2011, 09:50 AM
Actually the LTS for server is already supported for 5 years. Desktop version is 3 years as you say.

Yeah you are right.