PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity won't load 11.10

requeth
November 1st, 2011, 04:17 AM
So...on a previous post on here working on an issue someone recommended I install compiz to do a config change. I did, and while looking at the various options I froze and crashed my system (something about which database to use, was a dropdown). Now I'm in Lynx (Who knew the web was so compliant?) trying to figure out what to do. When I start Ubuntu I get the login screen, and I can login. When I login I get my background and a bar up at the top with File, Edit, etc. Nothing else. I've tried reinstalling ubuntu-desktop and unity to no effect. I can't start compiz again to try fiddling with settings. My guest account worked for a while but stopped. I tried creating a new user account but fubar'd it and it won't login. Guess I've gotten too used to the GUI way. Anyway. Does anyone know how to fix my predicament? I'd really rather not reinstall.

mikewhatever
November 1st, 2011, 05:04 AM
I was going to suggest either the unity --reset command, or Unity2d, which doesn't use compiz, but then thought that I dare not step in and interfere with God's help. My prayers are with you. Good luck, and let us know what God did.

PS: A church would have been a better place for such help request.

Mark Phelps
November 1st, 2011, 01:05 PM
I've had Unity crash as well, because I made the mistake of tweaking Compiz. The link below has instructions for fixing that:

http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/04/missing-top-and-side-panels-in-unity.html

grahammechanical
November 1st, 2011, 02:41 PM
I used to get that in 11.04 whenever tried to set an effect in CCSM. I have not had that happen in 11.10 but then I only tried to get the wobbly windows effect working and it does work. I did not dare experiment with other effects.

The link given by Mark Phelps should help. In 11.04 I would log into classic and undo whatever I had done in CCSM. In 11.10 I have installed 2D partly for the same reason.

Regards.

mrgs
November 1st, 2011, 05:13 PM
Changed the thread title. Please keep religion out of the forum, also if it is meant as a joke. You don't know how people react.