PDA

View Full Version : The future of print media

mamamia88
November 1st, 2011, 01:58 AM
How long do you think it takes before tablets, ereaders, and smartphones completely dominate print media? I use my kindle exclusively for reading books and greader on my phone for checking rss feeds. You get the news you care about right away and not wait until the morning when the newspaper comes with a bunch of depressing stories about murders and stuff you don't want to read about. Does anyone still read newspapers?

dpny
November 1st, 2011, 02:15 AM
Newspapers != print media. Newspapers are a very small part.

malspa
November 1st, 2011, 02:32 AM
I still read newspapers.

And I'll stick with reading actual books.

I really don't care what most people do, or what they'll do in the future. I'm going to enjoy print media for the rest of my life, regardless.

mamamia88
November 1st, 2011, 02:37 AM
I still read newspapers.

And I'll stick with reading actual books.

I really don't care what most people do, or what they'll do in the future. I'm going to enjoy print media for the rest of my life, regardless.

Get off my lawn :lolflag: kindle is pretty much same experience as reading a real book in my opinion and more convenient. newspapers heck sometimes i don't even bother bringing it inside in the morning.

malspa
November 1st, 2011, 02:47 AM
To each his own. I've got no problem if other people prefer eBook readers or whatever. Don't see why anyone would have a problem if I don't.

mamamia88
November 1st, 2011, 02:55 AM
To each his own. I've got no problem if other people prefer eBook readers or whatever. Don't see why anyone would have a problem if I don't.

I honestly don't care what you prefer I was joking. I will read a real book if i'm too cheap to buy the kindle version and get it from library. I was more focussed on newspapers. It just seems so much more convenient to read rss feeds or have the newspaper delivered too a tablet.

malspa
November 1st, 2011, 03:09 AM
I will read a real book if i'm too cheap to buy the kindle version and get it from library. I was more focussed on newspapers. It just seems so much more convenient to read rss feeds or have the newspaper delivered too a tablet.

Maybe so.

Don't have to plug newspapers and books in, or charge them, though. :D

And they aren't so easy to break.

And you can swat flies and smash bugs with them.

The way I look at it, for the price of an eBook reader (or a tablet) and the books I'd have to purchase, I can pick up hundreds of REAL books at the library, yard sales, or thrift stores -- enough to last me for the rest of my life. Finding them by accident is half the fun.

F.G.
November 1st, 2011, 03:10 AM
so, i think the decline of print media would probably be a good thing.

i mean the amount of 500 page books of no real substance churned out each year is nuts, and the number of newspapers and unsuccessfull book that get pulped is quite significant.

don't get me wrong, i like books, but is seems that rather than a decline more are produced than ever right now.

disclaimer -> i've not actually researched this at all

mamamia88
November 1st, 2011, 03:16 AM
Maybe so.

Don't have to plug newspapers and books in, or charge them, though. :D

And they aren't so easy to break.

And you can swat flies and smash bugs with them.

The way I look at it, for the price of an eBook reader (or a tablet) and the books I'd have to purchase, I can pick up hundreds of REAL books at the library, yard sales, or thrift stores -- enough to last me for the rest of my life. Finding them by accident is half the fun.

true that but half the books i've read recently have been just by surfing the free section of amazon and taking a chance. i used to go to the fleamarket and ask an elderly lady for recommendations. nowadays kindles are pretty cheap i mean you can get one for less than $100. the battery argument is a real one but i charge my kindle very very rarerly. and if you have a smartphone on you and you left your book at home you can sync to your latest read page which is pretty sweet.

fantab
November 1st, 2011, 01:37 PM
Kindles and other gadgets cater only to a minuscule number of people in context of the 7 billionth baby being born.
Print Media will exist until at least 6 billion of us have fancy gadgets.