PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do you make Gnome 3 the default desktop?

Mazate
November 1st, 2011, 12:38 AM
An answer to this would be most appreciated.

MG&TL
November 1st, 2011, 12:55 AM
As in, the defult login? I personally just used it once, and it kept my choice for next time.

Frogs Hair
November 1st, 2011, 01:09 AM
As in, the defult login? I personally just used it once, and it kept my choice for next time.

+1 Ubuntu defaults to whatever I used last .

Thorvaldsson
November 1st, 2011, 01:35 AM
Assuming you have Gnome installed, you should be able to select it at log in. After that, Ubuntu should remember your choice.

Mazate
November 1st, 2011, 01:58 AM
Assuming you have Gnome installed, you should be able to select it at log in. After that, Ubuntu should remember your choice.

Well, I logged out of Unity, switched to Gnome 3 and then I was fine. I turned off my computer for the day and turned it back on the next day and it loaded Unity again.

markbl
November 1st, 2011, 02:20 AM
Well, I logged out of Unity, switched to Gnome 3 and then I was fine. I turned off my computer for the day and turned it back on the next day and it loaded Unity again.
This is a bug on launchpad but I think it has been fixed in very recent updates. Either way, you can run the following to force the default:

sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults --session gnome-shell

Azyx
November 1st, 2011, 02:34 AM
Is <Gnome3 the same as Gnome-shell? Aren't Gnome shell a variant of Gnome3

MG&TL
November 1st, 2011, 07:42 PM
Gnome-shell is the default desktop for the gnome3 release. However, as demonstrated by Unity, it is perfectly possible to build different desktops out of gnome releases.