PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] how do i make a .img of a directory and mount it?

lance bermudez
October 31st, 2011, 09:45 PM
I can find how to make an iso(.iso) of a directory but the directory I want to image (.img) is my /home at 133.7 GB so that I can reinstall Ubuntu. Home is not on a separate partition so I can not use clonezilla

philinux
October 31st, 2011, 09:55 PM
I can find how to make an iso(.iso) of a directory but the directory I want to image (.img) is my /home at 133.7 GB so that I can reinstall Ubuntu. Home is not on a separate partition so I can not use clonezilla

If you just back up home to an external hard drive that should be enough. The new installer in 11.10 can preserve home even when not on its own partition.

I always backup anyway even though my home is on its own partition :)

WasMeHere
October 31st, 2011, 09:57 PM
Hi lance,

I think you can make a normal backup copy of your directory, or for example a tarball (compressed tarfile), because there are no secret files or files that must be in special positions in your home directory.

Have fun finding out about Ubuntu :-)
Olle

lance bermudez
October 31st, 2011, 09:57 PM
was told it was something

dd if=/dev/zero of=home.img bs=1ʍ count=1ʒ6908.8

but ɪ can not mount it with out a file system. So how do ɪ make an extʒ file system in the home.img?

WasMeHere
October 31st, 2011, 10:10 PM

but ɪ can not mount it with out a file system. So how do ɪ make an extʒ file system in the home.img?

Don't worry about that command and making a file system inside the img file. There are tools, that can take care of your backup directly, and that will be much safer to use.

If you want a complete and easy to restore backup, you can make an image of your whole hard drive with Clonezilla. I do almost that once a month. Actually I make a Clonezilla image of the system partitions, while I make a syncronized directory copy with Unison of my multimedia partition.

matt_symes
October 31st, 2011, 10:15 PM
Hi

To format it you could mount it as a loop device and format it that way but i am not sure why you want to do this.

BTW: Be very carful with the dd and mke2fs commands ;)

Kind regards

hailtothethief
November 1st, 2011, 01:01 AM
my /home at 133.7 GB

I guess no one else noticed this, but nice file size ;)

Anyway, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem has a lot of good options, of which I personally choose to use tarballs (as was suggested by Olle Wiklund)

Good luck.