PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Delete and re-install

coolgamer123
October 31st, 2011, 08:38 PM
Hi,

I recently found a cd of Ubuntu 9.04. Because i got<snip> up with Windows, I tried installing this and it worked quite well. But now I see there is also a 11.0 version, wich would be much better. I tried to update my 9.04 version first to 9.10, but it said i dont have enough space (wich is <snip> because i have about 300GB free on my C: disk. Now I was asking myself, why dont I just delete 9.04 and then install 11.0, but I nowhere found a way to delete 9.04. I'm using Windows Vista outside of Ubuntu.

Please Help

(sorry for my bad english, I'm just a fifteen years old guy from the Netherlands)

Megaptera
October 31st, 2011, 08:44 PM
Hi,
As 9.04 isn't supported any more upgrading will be very difficult. You'd have to go 9.04 to 10.04 and then to 11.04 or 11.10 ... a lot could go wrong.

Probably simpler to download 11.10, burn the disc and use the "Try" option to see if your hardware works OK with it, before going for an install.

Before starting all this make a good back up to external media of all your important docs, vids, photos, tunes etc etc just in case (better safe than sorry!)

Are you currently using a dual boot of 9.04 and Windows and not a Wubi install within Windows?

coolgamer123
November 2nd, 2011, 08:22 AM
No, I use dual boot, but what do you mean by making a back-up? Do i have to copy ALL my files including windows vista files etc etc etc... or just important stuff like big school projects and so? I really want to get ubuntu 11.10 or 11.04, because i'm so fed up with windows...

rng
November 2nd, 2011, 12:00 PM
Most important are 'data' files (your school projects, docs, personal photos, videos etc, which if lost cannot be replaced. Operating systems and programs can be reinstalled.

Google on how to install from live cd, especially selecting / making partitions. Then start the installation and you should be able to do it.

Rubi1200
November 2nd, 2011, 01:59 PM
Here is some information on backing up your system:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem

You should be making backups of your important files no matter which operating system you use and especially before making any major changes to your system.