PDA

View Full Version : Open Source game development

rasmus91
October 31st, 2011, 05:37 PM
Hi

I'm currently learning how to program. I've just started at the university, and in a good 5 years time, I should be able to make quality games (not all by myself, I know). I already have an idea for my first 3D game, which will be a simple game, that I will release as Open Source.

BUT! The thought crossed my mind, and the dollar signs printed it self on my eyes... for a second or two. the question of which I thought was of course: "What if I make something so cool, that I would actually be able to sell it."

First of all, I believe in Open Source. I believe in Linux. But, I took my time to think about this, the question transformed itself into: "what if I some years after finishing my education started my own business making video games." (I know its unrealistic to be successful, but just imagine it for a while.) "Say I make a computer game, now, my company has put a couple of years of hard work into this game. It has great graphics, and an awesome game play. everyone with a Computer wants to play it... so, why in the world would I share this game with everyone for free?"

And I'm just wondering, say I did this. I really need to make money off of my effort, but I also wish to release it as Open Source, but what would make me do this? (Obviously I need food on the table)

I love Open Source software more than anything installable on my Computer, but I see a problem here...

As I said, my plan is still to release my first game as Open Source (and hopefully any other games that I may make for that matter, but I just wonder...)

marshmallow1304
October 31st, 2011, 05:49 PM
Release the source but sell the assets.

3Miro
October 31st, 2011, 06:51 PM
Open Source != Free of Charge. Look at Red Hat for example, it is Linux, but you have to pat for it.

Most of the money from World of Warcraft come not from sales of the game in stores, but from the monthly accounts that people need in order to connect on-line.

If you make a game, you don't have to give it for free and not make money out of it. To align with GNU philosophy you will need to make sure you don't put any artificial restrictions like DRM (which only hurts people who have legitimate copies).

I personally am in favor of middle-ground for games. I wouldn't mind if a game isn't 100% free as in freedom, so long as it is mostly there. Look at what Civilization IV does, they have released most of the code and the latest patch comes with no-CD crack directly from them.

DangerOnTheRanger
October 31st, 2011, 07:39 PM
Release the source but sell the assets.

Exactly. Keep the code FOSS but keep the artwork non-free. As a matter of fact, RMS himself condones this practice - see http://www.libervis.com/article/rms_on_the_ethics_of_non_free_art.

Linuxratty
October 31st, 2011, 08:42 PM
I don't mind paying for games,what i won't do is the WOW method which is a monthly fee to play.
Personally,I like paying once and being done with it.
Creatures 4 is coming out this month and the game is free or you can buy the disk,but extra game packs cost money..You could set it up that way.

I'm pleased you will be porting to Linux as we are so often ignored.

matt79
October 31st, 2011, 09:00 PM
Plus opensource might make a business grow faster if you get other volunteers to help with the programming. :popcorn:

rasmus91
November 1st, 2011, 10:48 AM
I'm pleased you will be porting to Linux as we are so often ignored.

haha! you make me sound like a pro :P well, Technically i will be in a couple of years.

I think the first game I make will be in Java. but I'll be coding and testing in Linux. Once I get a hang of Java programming I will learn C++ (but there's no guarantee as to when that's going to happen)

I couldn't help but think of the donation thing a lot of people do on their websites. I guess I could make a donation button, but nobody really lives of that, do they?

I'd wish that I would be able to give every game I ever make away as Open Source. I've gained so much from this awesome community, and the Open Source community in general. And I don't think I'll ever be able to pay it back...

Linuxratty
November 1st, 2011, 04:50 PM
haha! you make me sound like a pro :P well, Technically i will be in a couple of years.

Yup,you will be. You could also expand by doing clever ads for Ubuntu and Red Hat and other open source projects.
Susie Linux has some clever ones featuring their lizard which I have ran across. Here are examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcjqGqTujRQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1D6rqvkQdA&feature=related

I couldn't help but think of the donation thing a lot of people do on their websites. I guess I could make a donation button, but nobody really lives of that, do they?

I don't know.

I'd wish that I would be able to give every game I ever make away as Open Source. I've gained so much from this awesome community, and the Open Source community in general. And I don't think I'll ever be able to pay it back.

You can sell each game for a year and then offer one a year as part of the humble bundle series.

BrokenKingpin
November 1st, 2011, 05:58 PM
If game development is your main source of income, then I would not open source it or give it away for free... you need money to live. If you work on a game in your free time (i.e. not you day job), then I would open source it and give it out for free if you are an advocate of open source.

I am a professional programmer working on proprietary software, but I also work on open source applications in my spare time.

thig1002
November 1st, 2011, 06:22 PM
Alright Markus Person (aka. Notch) Jr. :P

And may I add that he is a very good example of what you could possibly do?
Mojang: Look it up.
Minecraft was free, and eventually it wasn't. Not the most orthodox of stradegies, but he proved it worked.

suspect x
November 1st, 2011, 06:45 PM
i believe that if you were a developer, you want to use the others software and wants the others to use yours (software like source codes ) in a good and legal way
think of this "if they did use your software ,but in an illegal way ,would you be happy then or rich enough ??"
all of us wants to make money and we have many ways that we can earn money
but the way we choose forbids somethings and allow others .

there are so many ways we can earn money just we have to think the good way
;-)

suspect x
November 1st, 2011, 06:50 PM
BrokenKingpin (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=126450) is right

thats a good solution