PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing to external hard drive?

wkdw1ll1ams
October 31st, 2011, 02:52 PM
i have a clean external hard drive what i got for installing ubuntu on. ive tried this for 2+ days now, after i install ubuntu from the live cd to my usb i cant get my computer to boot into my hard drive it just says "operating system not found". But taking the hard drive out from the enclosure and putting it in the back of my laptop seems to work. That means ubuntu has installed properly. My bios recognizes the hard drive and such.

recluce
October 31st, 2011, 05:36 PM
i have a clean external hard drive what i got for installing ubuntu on. ive tried this for 2+ days now, after i install ubuntu from the live cd to my usb i cant get my computer to boot into my hard drive it just says "operating system not found". But taking the hard drive out from the enclosure and putting it in the back of my laptop seems to work. That means ubuntu has installed properly. My bios recognizes the hard drive and such.

The combination of your BIOS/motherboard and the USB enclosure is not a happy one. Unfortunately, that happens a lot. For example, I have a Patriot USB stick that I use to boot several live CDs. Works perfectly on dozens of computers, except a Dell Vostro 1000, where it just doesn't boot.

Things to try:

- Use eSATA if your system has it
- If you use USB 3, try to use an USB 2 port instead
- try a different USB enclosure
- double-check BIOS settings

raja.genupula
October 31st, 2011, 06:50 PM

Hi man small confirmation....are you sure that your first boot priority is set to your external Harddisk ?