PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] sony vgn-n200e Install Problem

th1bill
October 31st, 2011, 02:14 PM
I do all manor of IT work for the people in my Church Family, free of charge and one Brother has a Sony VGN-N200E that we have upgrade to hold 2gb of RAM and we are attempting to put the new 500gb hard drive he purchased for it in.

All of this does very well (if I can keep from pulling the rest of my hair out with the 21 screw Palm Rest) but there are two issues. First of all, I used Clonezilla to clone the Vista OS from the 80gb drive to the 500 and it will not boot from that drive. But then I tried Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10 and 11.04 for the dual boot to no avail.

Because he is a small businessman doing bookkeeping, on site, for his customers, he must have the unit running from Monday thru Friday and hence the 80 is back in place. The CDs, written from images downloaded from ubuntu.com ranged from desktop through server and the marginal success came from the Alternative CD but I had only the command line and no software beyond that.

I will attempt this again this week end and I need thought, ideas and all manor of help. This retired old fossil turned volunteer IT is about to loose the rest of his hair over this one and this gentleman is sick of the virus attacks.