PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Swapping out hard drive to new laptop

charlescarroll1
October 31st, 2011, 05:32 AM
I just purchased a new Toshiba laptop with a 320gb hard drive (which will arrive Wednesday) and I'd like to install my 750gb hdd that's currently in my Compaq laptop into my new laptop. On the 750gb hdd, I'm dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.10. I'm thinking there may be driver problems with Windows 7 if I simply install the 750gb drive into the new laptop, but does anyone know if there will be issues with Ubuntu that I should be concerned about? If anyone has any suggestions with the Windows 7 partition too, that would be great. I use Windows more often, so if I have issues, I'll have to find a 3rd drive to backup all my data, right?

2F4U
October 31st, 2011, 07:26 AM
Ubuntu will probably be fine as long as the architecture is right. Since a default install has all necessary drivers incorporated, there should be no problem. However, you will get problems with Windows, not only with respect to drivers, but also with respect to registration.

psad73
October 31st, 2011, 07:35 AM
I swapped one hd with ubuntu 9/10 between different laptops and desktops with no problem. The only thing was to reconfigure the new network interface. With winxp on the second partiton i had to reinstall it (winxp not ubunu). So, i suppose the windows part will be much more painfull in this case.