PDA

View Full Version : Online Documentation Storage and Viewing. Any Suggestions?

Mattaus
October 31st, 2011, 02:05 AM
Hey all,

Really quick question for people to see what they would recommend…

I’m in the process of updating my Resume/CV whatever-you-call-it-in-your-part-of-the-world. In the past I have not had that much to include given my relative lack of experience in the working world, however now that I have a degree under my belt and 4 years of actual engineering experience (plus a very valuable stint in work experience) my resume becomes unattractively large. I’m of the opinion it should never be larger than 3 A4 pages with 2 being ideal.

So I thought given the web driven nature of our working lives these days that I’d hyper link some of the goodies (any relevant grades, special reports, proof of education levels etc) in my Resume (which happens to be a pdf document). Assuming the employer is using a workstation with an internet connection all they have to do is click said link to bring up as much information as they’d like to see.

I have experimented with using Google docs to store the documents but find it flakey at best. Links only appear to work occasionally, and if the link changes (which for some reason they have) the document becomes useless and the resume looks….cr*p. Plus inserting hyperlinks in PDF files is painful and something I really only want to do once.

Can anyone recommend a good online ‘document hosting’ site? :-k

Somewhere I can dump files (again probably PDF) for viewing by a 3rd party without them having to jump through hoops to view them? No need for an account – just click the link and bam! There’s the document I want them to see.

Your thoughts would be appreciated – or maybe even a different path to the same sort of goal?

Thanks.

- Matt

forrestcupp
October 31st, 2011, 12:43 PM
Dropbox. They give you 2 gigs free. It appears as a folder on your computer that automatically syncs with their server. You can store any type of file on it. If you put a file in the public folder, you can link to it and anyone can access it.

Mattaus
October 31st, 2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks Forrestcupp. I've heard of Dropbox (many times) but never looked into let alone really knew what it was for - but that seems perfect. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks again!