PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.10 Window title bars expand over the dash icon

chrisc200
October 30th, 2011, 04:01 PM
:confused:

I have been trying to solve this problem for ages. (see attached)

Each time I maximize a window on 11.10, the window main title bar (file, minimize,maximize etc) expands over the dash icon, instead of staying inside the window space. This happens on a new/fresh install.

How do I fix this? also can I disable the autohide of the window menu.
Thx

chrisc200
October 30th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Anyone any ideas please? However small

Mark Phelps
October 31st, 2011, 01:44 AM
Welcome to 11.10 -- it's a "feature" not a "bug".

chrisc200
October 31st, 2011, 08:51 AM
Thankyou for pointing this out. I am confused because my other laptop (which is 11.04) didnt do this, it has a smaller screen so thought it may be related to that.

What I am trying to do is this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/59539/is-there-any-way-to-stop-a-windows-title-bar-merging-with-the-menu-bar-when-max

but theres no solution to it at the moment.

Mark Phelps
October 31st, 2011, 03:38 PM
V 11.04 did not have this "feature". This is yet ANOTHER regression pushed on us by Canonical's rush to get 11.10 out the door -- clearly, without adequate testing.

And, don't make the mistake of installing ccsm. I have that working FINE in 11.04, so I installed it in 11.10. Soon as I opened it, it trashed UNITY -- and I had to remove both compiz and unity, and reinstall them both -- to get a desktop back.

Frogs Hair
October 31st, 2011, 04:12 PM
This happened when I installed Opera on 11.04 and 11.10 . I manually resized the window the problem was solved the next time I opened the application .

It seems when resizing windows , once certain size is exceeded the application maximizes with the buttons on the top panel when opened . I discovered the size threshold on my 1280 x 1024 monitor by trying different sizes until the window no longer maximized .

mcduck
October 31st, 2011, 06:36 PM
V 11.04 did not have this "feature". This is yet ANOTHER regression pushed on us by Canonical's rush to get 11.10 out the door -- clearly, without adequate testing.

And, don't make the mistake of installing ccsm. I have that working FINE in 11.04, so I installed it in 11.10. Soon as I opened it, it trashed UNITY -- and I had to remove both compiz and unity, and reinstall them both -- to get a desktop back.

No, it's ot a regression or result from any lack of testing, it's working exactly as designed.

Of course you can have many opinions if the idea behind the design is good or not (I personally consider it a great feature, probably because my laptop has fairly low vertical resolution so even the little extra screen space this gives is welcome), but that still doesn't have anything to do with lack of testing or bugs. :)

(Also, no need to reinstall anything if CCSM messes with your Unity settings, simple "unity --reset" should fix that and even in the worst case resetting the relevant gconf keys will work as well. If that ever happens again, simple search on these forums will surely give you more detailed instructions. )

mcduck
October 31st, 2011, 06:38 PM
This happened when I installed Opera on 11.04 and 11.10 . I manually resized the window the problem was solved the next time I opened the application .

It seems when resizing windows , once certain size is exceeded the application maximizes with the buttons on the top panel when opened . I discovered the size threshold on my 1280 x 1024 monitor by trying different sizes until the window no longer maximized .

Windows larger than a certain size will get auto-maximized. It's defined as a percentage of the screen size (75% by default, if I remember right) and can be configured with CompizConfig Settings Manager.

chrisc200
October 31st, 2011, 07:18 PM
The problem is not with auto maximize value I have adjusted this, this auto maximizes windows when you open them from launcher if they were above 75% by default. so i set it to 100% so that when opening an app from launcher, e.g. chrome it doesnt auto maximize.

the problem is when maximizing any window the title bar , maximize, minimize etc are merged into the unity app menu at the top.

Although this is cosmetic, I would prefer if control stayed inside the window to be consistent.

Also some people prefer to have close, minimize and maximize buttons to the right, if you do this, then it wont be consistent when you maximize a window. (it will be merged back into the top corner).

chrisc200
October 31st, 2011, 07:35 PM
thinking about this again I can see why this feature can be useful. so we save space by utilizing the top menu bar. but on the - side, its not aligned with the window so looks out of place maximized and for the other reasons mentioned before.

It would be great if there was an option to disable/enable this feature.

I personally find it confusing from previous versions.

mcduck
October 31st, 2011, 08:11 PM
The problem is not with auto maximize value I have adjusted this, this auto maximizes windows when you open them from launcher if they were above 75% by default. so i set it to 100% so that when opening an app from launcher, e.g. chrome it doesnt auto maximize.

the problem is when maximizing any window the title bar , maximize, minimize etc are merged into the unity app menu at the top.

Although this is cosmetic, I would prefer if control stayed inside the window to be consistent.

Also some people prefer to have close, minimize and maximize buttons to the right, if you do this, then it wont be consistent when you maximize a window. (it will be merged back into the top corner).
Sure, automaximize is in no way related to the window button location. I only mentioned it because Frogs Hair was asking about that feature.

Like I said in my above post, the behavior you see is normal, and working as designed. The page you posted seems to contain quite many suggestions how that might be changed, but I of course can't say if any of them work or not as I haven't tried any of them.