PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Is it necessary to uninstall software which is removed from repository?

Fintican
October 30th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Hi there,

I have searched the forum I hope I am not duplicating some thread.

There is no trouble. I am not looking for help. I just have one question and would like to hear some opinions...

Recently I have upgraded to 11.10. There are some pieces of software which were present in 11.04 repositories and I had them installed in 11.04 and which were subsequently removed from repositories for 11.10. As a result those packages were uninstalled from my computer during upgrade.

It is completely irrelevant here which particular software it was. I am just curious why this has happend. When I install an application I want to use it. When they (ubuntu or whoever) remove it from repositories that means there is some reason why they cannot support it any more and that's understantable. But that only means that there will be no more service (auto updates mainly). There is no reason to force me not to use it any more. Especially in case when I can download it from different place and install it again...

So my question is: is there some reason for this behaviour? Is there some technicality or something I am missing which forces this situation? Is there some reason why they cannot tell to the package manager "hei buddy, if you find some packages which are no longer supported during upgrade just let them be...". I appreciate the fact that the packages were listed during upgrade in packages-which-will-be-removed list. But what about packages-which-will-be-no-longer-supported-but-stay-instaled list?

Thank you for your clarifications of situation in advance :)