PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I transfer?

Lildirt
October 30th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Hi there,
Recently, I purchase a fine 500GB external hard drive, considering the fact my old Local C:\ was getting .. rather full..
But, when I bought the drive, I had Ubuntu installed on my system.
About 3 days later, I decided I really wanted to save Ubuntu on my external hard disk as an option to boot up like that, and if the drive isn't found, it isn't executed, so it's just like a normal boot with Windows.

Is it possible for me to:
1. Move over everything I have currently on this Ubuntu Partition (No re-installing! Copying, if possible.) to my External Disk (from Local C:\)
2. Remove the current Linux partition from my computer, and no longer have it boot from Local C:\ for Linux. (I think Linux is booted VIA BIOS, I'm not sure though.)
3. Have it either search for the drive, or give me an option to boot from the drive when it is plugged up, however Ubuntu works. I think the term 'Plug-N-Play Ubuntu' fits well here.

So.. is it possible? If not, can I at least RESIZE my Linux Partition without reformatting it or anything?

I've never handled it too well going into the backend of a computer, where you can mess with the BIOS and everything, it freaks me out sometimes because I feel like if I accidentally hit a button, my computer will reformat it's disk. [/sarcasm, but somewhat true.]