PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No sound after successful installation of Ubuntu11.10

smoothedaccorn08
October 30th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I have an ACER Aspire One Happy Notebook. Originally the main hard drive is damaged or maybe corrupted. I have interest in installing Ubuntu so I install it in an external hard drive just to make my notebook work again. It was a success but unfortunately after it was installed there is no sound at all. I was just bothered because during the trial run of the OS the sound is working properly. Please let me know what I can do. I have read threads regarding sound and the troubleshooting guide from UBUNTU Wiki but was not sure to start because I am new with this system. Thank you! :)

fantab
October 30th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I have an ACER Aspire One Happy Notebook. Originally the main hard drive is damaged or maybe corrupted. I have interest in installing Ubuntu so I install it in an external hard drive just to make my notebook work again. It was a success but unfortunately after it was installed there is no sound at all. I was just bothered because during the trial run of the OS the sound is working properly. Please let me know what I can do. I have read threads regarding sound and the troubleshooting guide from UBUNTU Wiki but was not sure to start because I am new with this system. Thank you! :)

By default Ubuntu Sound is muted upon installation. I hope you have tried Unmuting. If you have already done this then go to System Settings- Sound- Hardware and select appropriate device from the drop down menu and Test Speakers. Usually Ubuntu does this on its own.
Also see if the appropriate connector is selected in Output.

If all the above fails then it could be the Sound Card.

See if the system is detecting your sound card: open Terminal and run the following command:

sudo aplay -lThis Link (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting) should get you started for your basic trouble-shooting.

If you still don't have Sound then run this command from the terminal (you can copy/paste the command below in the terminal):

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa; sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get dist-upgrade; sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils gdm ubuntu-desktop linux-image-`uname -r` libasound2; sudo apt-get -y --reinstall install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils gdm ubuntu-desktop linux-image-`uname -r` libasound2; killall pulseaudio; rm -r ~/.pulse*and follow the steps described here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingProcedure).

I hope that helps.....