PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] SQUASHFS errors after 10.04 install - should I worry?

mopalia
October 30th, 2011, 02:19 AM
After failing all day to install 10.10, 11.04, and a dual boot of both,(computer refused to re-start after installation every time), I rolled back to 10.04 with a desktop install but got several pages of the SQUASHFS errors at the end. I figured i was SOL again, but it restarted ok. I did the updates and it restarted just fine.
Does the SQUASHFS error mean that this will be unstable and break in unexpected ways? Or can I go back to configuring it and start work - finally?

Tamlynmac
October 30th, 2011, 07:22 AM
mopalia

I would advise caution. It's been my experience that corrupted data from the disc or media is generally the source of these errors. You didn't identify what type of media your using or if all the media was burned from the same source.

1. Did you run the MD5SUM on the media to confirm data integrity?
2. If it's a cd/dvd, what speed did you burn it at? Hopefully, the slowest possible.

It's been my experience that SQUASHFS errors (corrupted data) are caused by a bad burn, dirty or defective disks, or potential driver issues. I've also seen defective memory modules cause this issue.

Often the issue is simply a problem with the (cd/dvd) burn speed. It's been my experience that by burning the disc at the slowest speed possible (never more than 4X preferably 2X), solves the problem.

Good Luck

mopalia
October 30th, 2011, 09:52 AM
1. Did you run the MD5SUM on the media to confirm data integrity?
/QUOTE]

Sadly, no - I'm on a Windows laptop and have no idea how to do anything in Windows. Maybe I'll figure it out tomorrow.

But I bet you're right about the burn speed - Roxio grabbed the downloaded file and started the burn without giving me any chance to set parameters. Tomorrow I'll download it on the Linux box and burn it slowly. Then I will try to configure the Gforce Nvidia card for two monitors, which will almost certainly break the whole thing - and I'll re-install. Thanks for feedback - I know how to proceed now.

Tamlynmac
October 30th, 2011, 09:46 PM
mopalia

As for the dual monitor issue - good luck with that.

If your able to do a slow burn and an uncorrupted install, at least you will feel confident about re-installing. :)

Good Luck

Mac