PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.10 upgrade(?) scrambled everything

dgundling
October 30th, 2011, 12:22 AM
I had ubuntu 10.10, 11.04 and WIN98SE installed and running well in separate partitions in a 40 GB HD. There is also a 3GB HD in the computer although there was nothing on that drive. My plan was to keep one operating version of Ubuntu in case the upgrades caused problem in the other.

I tried to upgrade 11.04 to 11.10. the upgrade scrambled the whole machine. Both 10.10 and 11.04 became inoperable. Went back wiped the HD and repartioned. BTW, the upgrade somehow or other moved the WIN98SE from the partition on the 40GB HD to a partion on the 3GB HD. Tried 11.10 again but using a CD version I had downloaded from the Ubuntu download site. No go. It would get to the purple screen, show the bar at the top, and allow me to move the cursor. If I selected anything, say games, it would not open save for a flash of the proper screen. Tried a reboot, actually several, with no change. Went back and reinstaled 10.10. That seems to be working OK. Then tried to step up to 11.04 and got the purple screenbar at the top, could move the cursor but could not open, close or do anything. Has anyone found a cure for this sort of thing?

Thanks.