PDA

View Full Version : Unity has got the looks down. It just needs customization options and fine-tuning

linuxuser12345
October 29th, 2011, 08:11 PM
The Ubuntu users and the Ubuntu community have lost so much potential and user power in these latest releases, and we need to go back to what the open-source movement was founded on: Allowing, securing, and maintaining user freedom.

Unity has gotten to be a pretty dazzling desktop UI, and new kinks are getting fixed every day. We (the Ubuntu community) now need to work on allowing full customization of the new UI before the upcoming release, letting users at least move the launcher around to any position and hopefully the top bar, too. The Unity interface needs new theme options and the Appearance section of the new an improved System Settings app included with 11.10 needs major "jailbreaking" to let us take full control of our desktop again, much like how things were back in the Gnome 2.x on Ubuntu 10.10 days. The users want to change icons easily, the users want to change themes completely and easily, the users want to manage their entire computer themeing quickly and easily with all features available from installation. The users can't even enable/disable/edit desktop effects easily without installing more programs!
It's little things like this that create a big problem over time.

Is anyone willing to add on to this?

moldaviax
October 29th, 2011, 08:23 PM
moving the launcher around would be nice but we need a menu driven interface too, I fear there is not enough time for 12.04 to hit the ground running and please everyone

M.

PaulInBHC
October 29th, 2011, 08:34 PM
The majority of people with computers and other devices want an operating system to be an operating system. That's all. Turn it on, have it work, easy to understand buttons or icons to get online, check email, play videos, music and games.

That should be the priority. Then if it is customizable that is a bonus for some people. It doesn't matter what it use to be. The world and the devices keep changing. The OS has to keep up.

gsmanners
October 29th, 2011, 09:07 PM
The world and the devices keep changing. The OS has to keep up.

That's what the kernel is for. Why involve the desktop?

PaulInBHC
October 29th, 2011, 09:10 PM
We would still have Win 3.1

I'm not saying to make it not accessible, just that most people don't need more choices. Just one, that works.

linuxuser12345
October 29th, 2011, 09:24 PM
moving the launcher around would be nice but we need a menu driven interface too, I fear there is not enough time for 12.04 to hit the ground running and please everyone

M.

Well then we need a service pack after the initial release if we can't get these features off the floor by April. The users want customization to fit their workspace and their needs.

linuxuser12345
October 29th, 2011, 09:26 PM
The majority of people with computers and other devices want an operating system to be an operating system. That's all. Turn it on, have it work, easy to understand buttons or icons to get online, check email, play videos, music and games.

That should be the priority. Then if it is customizable that is a bonus for some people. It doesn't matter what it use to be. The world and the devices keep changing. The OS has to keep up.

We are straying away from the foundations of the open source movement: User freedom. Why don't we just close the source and make the whole OS proprietary, then?! The "average user" wouldn't mind, as long as it "works."

chubbtech
October 29th, 2011, 09:26 PM
getting back the screensaver wud be nice 2 :)

kyleabaker
October 29th, 2011, 10:05 PM
More customization options would be great, but I'd rather see more fine-tuning in both a visual aspect as well as a performance/resource aspect.

Unity performance improved a great deal between 11.04 and 11.10, and I think we'll see a similar improvement between 11.10 and 12.04. I just want to see compiz become more efficient as far as resources and performance since the unity interface is directly affected by this.

The dash still feels slow to me, the "Available for Download" section seems useless since that's the whole point of the Software Center and the "Run a command" (Alt+F2) dash wastes a huge amount of space.

It would be great if they created a universal Unity settings tool that ties into System settings like the Ubuntu One settings, rather than a tool for Unity 2D and a tool for Unity 3D (in Compiz).

rg4w
October 29th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I would say it almost has the look down. Coloring the background of launcher icons just makes it hard to distinguish the icon's shape, giving a muddy appearance to every icon no matter how much time the icon designer put into make it clear.

I hope going forward they reserve the background color for an indication of some state, such as when the app is open, so the native state of the icon is simple and clean.

Admittedly, that's a minor point. The rest of it seems to be coming along pretty well.

kyleabaker
October 29th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I would say it almost has the look down. Coloring the background of launcher icons just makes it hard to distinguish the icon's shape, giving a muddy appearance to every icon no matter how much time the icon designer put into make it clear.

I hope going forward they reserve the background color for an indication of some state, such as when the app is open, so the native state of the icon is simple and clean.

Admittedly, that's a minor point. The rest of it seems to be coming along pretty well.

I agree though. Minor or not, its certainly a point on polishing and fine-tuning which is what 12.04 is supposed to be all about! :D

linuxuser12345
October 29th, 2011, 10:56 PM

The users also should have the option to add new icon sets and change features of the launcher, as well as placement. Ubuntu had WAY more customization options BY DEFAULT back in the 10.10 days. It's sad, because what we have been part of for so many years now is slowly becoming corrupt like the rest of the options out there.
Heck, even Windows XP has more customization options right out-of-the-box than Ubuntu 11.10! That is just sad. THE POWER NEEDS TO BE TO THE USERS.

gsmanners
October 29th, 2011, 11:27 PM
... most people don't need more choices. Just one, that works.

I respectfully disagree. The problem with this particular assertion is that it implies that we all agree on what the definition of "works" is. There are as many definitions of that word as there are computers and people who use them (some of us have several definitions of our own and not just one).

tekstr1der
October 30th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Being a function-before-fashion kind of guy myself, I need Unity to work well (for me) more than I need it to sit there and look pretty. I really need unity to stay out of my way and not be such an obstacle to efficient workflow.

Specifically, I'd be a happy camper if only these two things (serious IMO) issues would be addressed:

Minimize Application's Windows upon clicking its Launcher Icon.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/733349

Currently clicking it does nothing.

Global menu is not ergonomical on large screens.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/682788

Unity's just great with one window open. Playing hide and seek with multiple windows' menus is not my idea of a fun time. Nor a productive one either.

linuxuser12345
October 30th, 2011, 12:07 AM
I respectfully disagree. The problem with this particular assertion is that it implies that we all agree on what the definition of "works" is. There are as many definitions of that word as there are computers and people who use them (some of us have several definitions of our own and not just one).

Thank you!

tekstr1der
October 30th, 2011, 12:10 AM

I could not agree more!

linuxuser12345
October 30th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Being a function-before-fashion kind of guy myself, I need Unity to work well (for me) more than I need it to sit there and look pretty. I really need unity to stay out of my way and not be such an obstacle to efficient workflow.

Specifically, I'd be a happy camper if only these two things (serious IMO) issues would be addressed:

Minimize Application's Windows upon clicking its Launcher Icon.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/733349

Currently clicking it does nothing.

Global menu is not ergonomical on large screens.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/682788

Unity's just great with one window open. Playing hide and seek with multiple windows' menus is not my idea of a fun time. Nor a productive one either.

I do agree with you, somewhat.
I definitely think that Canonical and the community need to find a solution for people that use their computers for business and productivity to have quick menu access for windows that aren't currently active. I am proposing that all windows have full global menu support (like now, but with LibreOffice global menu as well), and all windows that aren't full screen have the same thing PLUS a quick menu button in a corner of the window, similar to how Firefox's menu works in Windows 7.
But, I do think the users of Ubuntu (that includes you and I) deserve to have easy, feature-rich customization options built-in by default.

kaldor
October 30th, 2011, 01:22 AM
As long as I have these, I will be happy:

Global menu hiding as an option. Some like it on, some like it off. I like it off.

Launcher position to left and bottom as an option (right and top do not make sense)

Launcher Expand as an option (aka make it like Docky or OS X)

These three things mean a lot to me.

lucazade
October 30th, 2011, 01:45 AM
It looks like everything is Unity related lately..
This is becoming boring for me, I'd just use the apps and forget about the rest.. the whole OS/DE/.. should be an intangible layer.

linuxuser12345
October 30th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Everyone, if you have any ideas, please also send them in to brainstorm.ubuntu.com to possibly be included in future releases.

linuxuser12345
October 30th, 2011, 02:01 AM
PS: The top bar also needs to have the same customization options as the panels do in Gnome 2.x. This will allow users to move items where they please.

cariboo
October 30th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Well then we need a service pack after the initial release if we can't get these features off the floor by April. The users want customization to fit their workspace and their needs.

This is addressed by the 4 point releases sfter the initial release, the point release add newer versions of programs, bug fixes, and in some cases enhancements.

Edit Move to the Cafe, as this sub-forum isn't the right place for this type pf thread.

apo1l
October 30th, 2011, 03:52 AM
It should have more options for customization. Or they would be like the others.

Thewhistlingwind
October 30th, 2011, 03:56 AM
getting back the screensaver wud be nice 2 :)

This. +1

At this point shipping with Xscreensaver would be an improvement.

vasa1
October 30th, 2011, 04:04 AM

And I respectfully agree with you! Well said.

If having a "working" OS is all that matters, why talk of branding and identity? Does having the ability to customize visible elements to my needs detract in any way from what OS I'm using? Is locking down things necessary to preserve identity or branding?

Copper Bezel
October 30th, 2011, 08:24 AM
One thing to note is that a lot of the reduced customization and flexibility in 11.10 has to do with the Gnome 3 base, not Unity itself. What you're seeing in the System Settings window comes straight from upstream.

gsmanners
October 30th, 2011, 06:35 PM
One thing to note is that a lot of the reduced customization and flexibility in 11.10 has to do with the Gnome 3 base, not Unity itself. What you're seeing in the System Settings window comes straight from upstream.

I also disagreed with *that* decision as well back in 2008. I recall a lot of "yes, but"-ing, hair-pulling about "distractions," some unverified "studies" about productivity, and a lot of general groupthink at the time. As you sow, etc...

Why Ubuntu would want to take direction from that, I don't know. You take what you can get, but surely we can do a little better? Is it really asking so much to let people be able to make their desktop environment fit their needs a little better?

beew
October 30th, 2011, 07:10 PM

M.

You can already do both, though not officially.

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/show-desktop-icon-for-ubuntu-unity.html
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/use-classic-menu-in-unity-classicmenu.html

techvish81
October 30th, 2011, 07:27 PM
if customization options are put in 12.04, they must not be "compiz" type which r unstable and risky to try, as it is a LTS release, a lot of people will take it as most stable available distro of ubuntu, so customisations should come with proper guidance of what one is going to do and what it will result in, to save newbies from hurting themselves. there should also be ample documentation for users keen to take most out of ubuntu .

if it happens, it will reinstall ubuntu where it is uninstalled.:lolflag::guitar::guitar::guitar:

Mikeb85
October 30th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I think more customization would be nice, but your option #1 is worded in a very provocative manner "If not, it conflicts with the principles on what the free software movement was founded on.".

Canonical restricting customization on it's own distro does NOT infringe upon the principles of free software, quite the opposite. The idea of free software is that anyone is able to take a piece of software they own, modify it, and distribute it the way they choose, the only stipulation being that they also make their product freely available to be modified.

In fact, the idea that a community of people can 'force' a company to add features that the company does not want to implement goes against the principles of free software. If Canonical cannot make Ubuntu what they want to without fear of backlash, then their freedom is being restricted. Any user who disagrees with Canonical's way of doing things is free to modify Ubuntu to their taste, essentially creating a forked OS.

It is Canonical's fundamental right under the principles of free software to be able to make Ubuntu what THEY want, any input they take from users is purely voluntary on their behalf.

Linuxratty
October 30th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I'm a point and clicker...I don't want to type what I want in a search window. I also don't want to use keyboard shortcuts. I work much faster with a mouse. I also prefer to have a nice stack of tabs to select from,plus min.max/close buttons I can see and scroll bars I can see.
If I can fix Unity to do the above,I might give it a try.

meh_phistopheles
October 30th, 2011, 09:27 PM
i voted yes, but also disagree with the wording of that option, with all that "principle" speak and whatnot.

i use unity 2d and want nothing more than to get rid of this hideous orange theme that comes by default. whenever i change my theme to something else through the option in System Settings>Appearance, or through gnome-tweak-tool, the close/min/max buttons on fullscreened windows get all messed up. it's sort of a minor concern, but it's enough to make me have to switch back to this puke orange out of frustration. i seriously don't know how much longer i can take this color scheme.

linuxuser12345
October 30th, 2011, 10:06 PM
It is Canonical's fundamental right under the principles of free software to be able to make Ubuntu what THEY want, any input they take from users is purely voluntary on their behalf.

=; And when Microsoft and Apple do the same thing with their OSes, the free software community complains.

linuxuser12345
October 30th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Guys, go to these two URLs and help me out please:

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/28807/
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/28806/

Thanks!

beew
October 30th, 2011, 10:23 PM
=; And when Microsoft and Apple do the same thing with their OSes, the free software community complains.

There is a huge difference though. Windows and Mac are closed systems, you can't change them unless they allow you and that is the end of the stotry. Unity however is 100% open source and Canonical doesn't prevent third party tweaks and customization options, it just doesn't provide them itself. There are already a lot of customizing addons that one can install with ppas. So it is a bit like Firefox, out of the box it is quite basic but you can install as many addons as you want, even though Mozilla does not provide them out of the box.

Now I think Unity should have more options, but it would be wrong to say that Canonical prevents you from adding or changing Unity like Apple does with the Mac. (though my main problem is with the underlying gnome 3 which has removed a lot features, that has nothing to do with Unity)

alexan
October 31st, 2011, 11:43 AM
"If not, it conflicts with the principles on what the free software movement was founded on."

Just lol. Now that's the principles on what the free software movement was founded on:P

linuxuser12345
November 1st, 2011, 02:22 AM
So I started using Ubuntu Brainstorm (brainstorm.ubuntu.com), and they are already ******* me off! lol

Some of those people moderating the proposals (which all proposals need to get a positive moderation on before it moves to the next step) don't even know what a Global Menu is!! Aren't these people supposed to be experts with Ubuntu?? If not, why the hell are they moderating the Brainstorm section?

linuxuser12345
November 1st, 2011, 02:28 AM
Maybe someone here can make a new idea on brainstorm.ubuntu.com better explaining what I meant from these two failed idea threads:

cariboo
November 1st, 2011, 03:19 AM
Maybe someone here can make a new idea on brainstorm.ubuntu.com better explaining what I meant from these two failed idea threads:

Your ideas aren't explained very well, maybe rethink them, and resubmit. A mockup may be helpful to get your idea across.

linuxuser12345
November 1st, 2011, 03:35 AM
Your ideas aren't explained very well, maybe rethink them, and resubmit. A mockup may be helpful to get your idea across.

What I mean, maybe if someone here that has more experience than me with Ubuntu can post almost the same thing as me, but he/she can explain it better and easier.

Julientroploin
November 1st, 2011, 01:53 PM
I agree with Mikeb85 : I want more customizations options in 12.04 but having them or not has nothing to deal with the "principles on what the free software movement was founded on"

So, i didn't vote

Hylas de Niall
November 1st, 2011, 04:09 PM
===SNIP===

Yes and yes! :)

That second point is what prompted me to use Gnome Shell instead of Unity on my desktop machine - it's more intuitive and natural to flip between windows and apps there than it ever was in Unity, in fact, i'm actually finding it faster to work this way than i ever did in 'doze or Gnome 2!

Unity is great on small screens though (IMO).

linuxuser12345
November 1st, 2011, 11:20 PM
For those of you who are on my side, it looks like our wish has been granted! LOOK: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/ubuntu-desktop-designers-clarify-on-configurability/
Now the thing on the agenda is to get these new features all implemented for the LTS release.

BrokenKingpin
November 2nd, 2011, 01:08 AM
I do wish it had more customization options, but It has nothing to do with free software principals.

I really don't see why they couldn't add customization options, it wouldn't make it any harder to use for people who just want something simple that works.

Roasted
November 2nd, 2011, 01:21 AM
I think Unity is going in a good direction, and I hope to see more from that department. That being said, I'm extremely doubtful Unity will ever be "good enough" to pry Gnome Shell from my hands. That's just my opinion, though. I think Unity is solid, I just don't love it quite as much as Gnome Shell.

linuxuser12345
November 2nd, 2011, 01:42 AM
I am announcing a re-vote! The re-vote has more options to vote on, also.

Here it is (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1873712):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1873712

Perfect Storm
November 2nd, 2011, 02:08 AM
I am announcing a re-vote! The re-vote has more options to vote on, also.

Here it is (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1873712):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1873712

Then I'll close this one up.