October 29th, 2011, 07:41 PM
I recently put together a new computer and installed Ubuntu 11.10 on it:

Radeon HD6570 video card
Intel Core i3 CPU
ASRock H61M/U3S3 motherboard
4 GB RAM
1 TB disk
AOC F22 monitor (1920x1080)

If I boot off the installation CD it's fine. On reboot after installing (from the CD, or installing after booting off the installation CD) I get odd behavior:

As I type this the displayed image is rotated about a third of the way to the right. That is, the launcher buttons are about 1/3 of the way in from the left side of the screen. Between the left edge of the screen and the launcher buttons is what *should* be on the right third of the screen. The mouse will move to the left until it hits the launcher buttons, but no farther. If I move the mouse to the right it'll 'fall off' the right edge of the screen and immediately reappear on the left edge of the screen. From there the mouse will move further to the right until it gets to the left edge of the launcher buttons.

Right now it's shifted 1/3 of the way. At times I've seen it shifted 2/3's of the way across the screen.

At other times the machine will start up and the screen be all pinkish with no login prompt at all. If I pretend like there really is a login prompt and type in my username/password anyway the screen color will change a bit, but that's all - still nothing recognizable displayed. If I press ctrl-alt-F1 the screen will go black but I don't see any console login prompt. If I type in my user name, password, and a reboot command it'll reboot so I *am* getting logged in, I just can't see what I'm doing.

The AOC monitor is from another computer, and works fine on that other machine. I'll be putting a different monitor (not wide screen) on this machine once I get this one working correctly.

Any clues?

Thanks!